TheBanyanTree: Bad Pizza

Spoonoid at cs.com Spoonoid at cs.com
Mon Apr 7 18:15:08 PDT 2003

Spoonoids:

    Lunchtime. While looking in the refrigerator for something to eat, I
found a pizza in the freezer. Buried in the bottom, way in the back. Well,
that should hit the spot. I haven't had a pizza for ages.
    I pulled a steak knife out of the drawer to poke a hole in the cellophane
wrapper. You can't just open packages with your teeth and fingernails
anymore. Once the pizza was unwrapped on the counter, I noticed it didn't
look quite right.  The round slices of pepperoni were not nice and red, but
kind of gray and tan.  I think this is an *old* pizza. But, hey, I'm going to
cook it at 400 degrees for 18 minutes, so if the meat is bad, at least it
will be sterilized. Maybe it won't taste good but it shouldn't make me sick.
But then, why take a chance?
    I consulted with Chef Princess.
    "Throw it in the trash and cook a hotdog," she said.
    "Yeah, but I'm going to cook it at 400 degrees for 18 minutes, so . . . ."
    "Trash. I'm not driving you to emergency to have your stomach pumped this
afternoon, Sweetheart. Have a hotdog instead."
    So I cooked two hotdogs, added pickle relish and ketchup in a bun, and
had a glass of beer. It was a satisfying lunch, but it wasn't PIZZA.
    Now I have never learned anything much about cooking. If it weren't for
the Princess, I would have inadvertently poisoned myself, or starved to death
years ago. I do know how to boil hotdogs and how to pop a frozen pizza in the
oven for 18 minutes, but that's about it.

    So now I ask all of you experienced cooks and healthcare professionals in
The Tree, what's the story on cooking bad meat?  Will it make you sick or
just taste bad? What's the biochemistry for an upset tummy?

Later, John.