TheBanyanTree: Heartstone

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 10:30:41 PST 2022

Tobie, this made me tear up a bit. Not because it hurt me, but because
it made me feel good. Perhaps you're right. Perhaps there is a tiny
piece of that shiny stone still cowering in the center of the carapace.
Not that I'll ever take it out and show it around; it might get damaged
again, so it will stay safe and hidden.

I'm always surprised when others say they've experienced the same or
similar. I don't know why. I'm not shocked, just surprised. I used to
think it was just me, that I somehow deserved it because I wasn't a good
enough person. I threw that thought off decades ago, but still sometimes
hear that tiny voice: "...if you hadn't done {whatever}, maybe they
wouldn't have treated you like that..." at which point tiny voice gets
slapped down and shut behind door number three.  I finally realized that
it wasn't just me, that it was, apparently, the human condition. I think
most people have suffered trauma at the hands of other people. People
who have NOT suffered seem to be the rarity. And yes, Tom, it is sad.
Social/legal/political are all the same thing, social. Legal and
political are mirrors of the society in which they are composed.

Sad, but true.

Laura
wolfljsh at gmail.com