TheBanyanTree: annoying

Robin Tennant-Wood rtennantwood at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 00:50:59 PST 2016

My mum, God love her, is still hale and hearty at 85, to the point where
we're going to the UK next April-May for a holiday. She pays, I do all the
organisation. Mother has a heart condition that is stress-related, so the
easy answer is to keep Mother away from stress. So I do all the navigating
through airports, make sure all the right documents are stamped by all the
right people, arrange ground transport to accommodation and then drive the
hire car. She waves the credit card and signs the cheques. It works. To get
to London is 24 hours in the air with a 36 hour stopover in Hong Kong both
ways. It's gruelling for people half her age!

Mum lives on her own in her huge rambling house. The Australian government
is very pro-active in keeping seniors in their own homes for as long as
possible, and Mum is a war widow (my dad was a WWII veteran, he died in
2011) so the Dept of Vets' Affairs looks after her very well. She also has
fantastic neighbours. And I mean fantastic. If her newspaper is on the
front path for 20 minutes longer than usual, someone is knocking at the
door to make sure she's OK. She also has one of those medi-alert thingies
so if she has a problem or a fall there is an ambulance at the door in
minutes. It's a relief to both my brother and me to know that she's got
that support. Brother lives in the same city and will drop everything in an
emergency, but I'm a 2-day drive - or a 2-hour drive and 2-hour flight -
away.

Mum is 'in training' for our UK holiday. She walks about 3-4 kilometres a
day and is picking up the pace. At this rate I'll need to get into training
myself to keep up with her. She also plays bridge about 4 times a week.
Anyone who tells you bridge is 'just a game' has never seen my mother play.
Those little old ladies are out to kill.

Meanwhile, plans for the big UK adventure are gaining acceleration. Flights
and accommodation have all been booked and friends in the UK alerted - just
in case they want to leave town. Mum's older brother, my uncle, will turn
96 in January and last year submitted his second PhD thesis. My grandmother
made it to 99 in good mental and physical health until the last few months.
Longevity seems to be in the genes. Mum tells me that next year's trip will
'probably' be her last overseas holiday. I have learnt never to
underestimate her.