TheBanyanTree: I'm so grateful

Laura Hicks wolfljsh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 12:04:36 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Monique Colver <monique.colver at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What are you thankful for?

It's funny, I was just thinking about this last night.

I've started going through "The Change". Icky girly yuck stuff happening to
my body. Aches and pains, swellings and shrinkings, and other stuff too
gross to mention. My poor long-suffering husband has no idea what is going
on, and when I try to explain, he gets that "ew, girls are talking about
girl stuff" look on his face, so I stop. No need to scare him off, yeah? In
spite of the fact he really can't understand why one day I'm fine, and the
next I'm so exhausted I can barely move, for no observable reason, he is so
supportive, loving, kind, and caring.

For example, yesterday I had planned to pre-prepare most of our
Thanksgiving celebration meal, but I was so completely physically wiped
out, it was a struggle to just stand. I made myself get up and do all the
cooking anyway, but collapsed in a heap and didn't move for several hours
after. This morning, my sweetie got up, told me to stay in bed, got ready
to go to work, made his own lunch, prepared his own dinner for work (he's
second shift, his breakfast is your lunch, his lunch is your dinner, his
bed-time snack is your breakfast), then came in and told me to "take the
day off and rest". How in the world I managed to score such a wonderful
guy, I'll never know, but I am always, always, grateful that I did. I'm
thankful for that.

However, sometimes I find it's the little things that can make or break a
day. I'm always thankful I snagged a great guy, that we have a warm, dry
house, with a sound roof over our heads, that our children are healthy and
(nearly) self-sustaining, and that we have enough income to make our bills
and have a little left over to play. But last night, after I dragged my
uncooperative body into the bedroom, and forced it into the shower, I found
myself thanking the stars for the wonderful hot spray of water. I had
gotten chilled (another lovely symptom of my "change"), and though I had
been sweating in the kitchen while cooking, I felt as though I would never
be warm again. But the hot shower warmed me through and through, and left
me glowing with happiness and peace.

As a kid, you never really consider how the little things, like access to
hot, clean water, can be so wonderful.  I'm thankful for that.

--
Laura
wolfljsh at gmail.com