TheBanyanTree: Midnight Mystery

Tom Smith trsmith44 at cox.net
Tue Nov 26 17:07:54 PST 2013

Thanks a ton for your explanations, Mike and Laura.  I thought of that
possibility,  but couldn't picture moths flying that fast or straight or being
that big.  This moth covered a lot of territory in about a second.  I think the
frame rate of the video is 30 per second.

It's wonderful to be able to see this nocturnal world, literally in my
back yard.  Now, I'm off to educate myself about the sphinx moth.. and
maybe learn how it got its name.   I much appreciate your weighing in on
this.  It's kind of a relief, too.

Laughing..
  Tom

 Laura wrote:

> I've seen these multiple times. It's a moth/butterfly/bug. Because of the
> way video capture works, you may get several different images of the same
> bug in a single frame. It's basically what would have been called a double
> exposure in 'olden days'.

" "...these rods appear in film because of an optical illusion/collusion