TheBanyanTree: Midnight Mystery

Laura Hicks wolfljsh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 16:28:49 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Tom Smith <trsmith44 at cox.net> wrote:

> I don't believe in UFOs, as in alien machines.  My instincts
> tell me this is a natural native life form, out hunting, and
> common, but rarely seen.  I can't believe I'm the only one who
> has ever seen one of these.  Thanks to Flickr and the Internet,
> I shouldn't be the only one to see this one.  What is it?

I've seen these multiple times. It's a moth/butterfly/bug. Because of the
way video capture works, you may get several different images of the same
bug in a single frame. It's basically what would have been called a double
exposure in 'olden days'.

"...these rods appear in film because of an optical illusion/collusion
(especially in interlaced video<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video>
 recording), and are typically traces of a flying insect's wingbeats."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_(optics)

Laura
wolfljsh at gmail.com