TheBanyanTree: A Tale of Four Bagels

Robin Tennant-Wood rtennantwood at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 01:30:07 PDT 2012

Ah, yes. The Case of the Missing Bagels - or food of any sort, really, is one that was quite common at our place when Merlin was around. Merlin was a tabby cat we adopted from the local cat rescue place a couple of years ago. He had had a very troubled kittenhood (which is how he ended up at Cat Rescue in the first place) and as a result was always on the lookout for the next meal. Even though he knew the next meal would arrive in his bowl at the properly appointed time.

His capacity for stealing unattended food was so great that we bought a breadbox with a lid he couldn't lift due to lack of opposing thumbs. We call it the Merlin-proof breadbox.

Despite his perpetual need to seek food, Merlin was one of the nicest and sweetest-natured cats I have ever known. He just oozed kitty charisma and was universally adored in our menagerie.

Alas, he fell victim to a snakebite this Summer and died some weeks later, but we (and our other pets) have learnt many lessons from him.

We still remove all food from temptation and the Merlin-proof breadbox is a permanent testament to his mission. I'm not sure he ever stole a cheese bagel, but he'd have given it a try.

Sent from my iPhone