TheBanyanTree: Reading

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 10:34:41 PDT 2011

My parents never read to me. I recall no one ever reading to me, though when
I started writing at a young age my mom was happy to read what I wrote. No
one else noticed. My mom, who never finished high school, became a great
reader later on, when age and life slowed down the alcohol intake. My dad
never read books. My stepdad told me, on my last visit to him, that he's
never read a book. I collected my mom's books, took a few for myself, and
told him he could donate the rest. He hadn't a clue what to do with them. I
don't remember books in our house when I was growing up. I do remember going
to the library across the street as soon as I was able, and being a frequent
visitor. (On my first visit I took home a stack of books, then returned
later that same day to return them and get more. I was so sad when the
librarian told me I couldn't bring them back the same day, that I had to
keep them at least overnight.)

Readers of books were subject to derision in my family. The first time I met
my stepsiblings the boys colluded with my brother, and they dumped some
books on me and ran off laughing. I was so uncool -- cool kids didn't read.

My stepmom read cheesy paperback romance novels, which she kept stuffed into
odd drawers around the house. She told me once that people who "decorated
with books" were . . . I don't remember exactly, but it had something to do
with being gauche and unfit for society. This after she'd visited my house,
which had bookshelves in, of all places, the living room. I never considered
it "decorating with books," I thought it was "having books," and they had to
go somewhere, didn't they?

When I left home and joined the military and had my own money for the first
time in my life the first thing I did was join the history book club. Every
month I'd get a new fascinating history book to read. Then I joined another
book club, and another.

We are more than a product of how we were brought up. Fortunately, or I'd
have been doomed from a young age. I may still be doomed, but it's my own
choosing.

Monique Colver