TheBanyanTree: Family matters

Janice Money pmon3694 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 18 16:25:21 PDT 2011

You're right about turning up ancestors with embarrassing stories.  But
what's embarrassing changes as societies change.

People here used to be ashamed of having convict ancestors but things are
different now.  Now there can be a certain cachet attached to having
descended from a convict, especially one who arrived with the First Fleet.
So for me, having at least 5 convict ancestors is pretty good, especially
since one of them, the counterfeiter, arrived in Van Diemen's Land (how
evocative is that?) in 1829, only 41 years after the First Fleet arrived.

Janice