TheBanyanTree: The dark art of raising a teenager

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Nov 25 06:05:22 PST 2011

My  teenagers now have teens of their own, and let me tell you . . ."what
goes  around, comes around."   When I speak to my grown children, they
whine, "however did we raise such a monster?"
I survived four teens.  No one was in jail,  no one got pregnant,  no one
disgraced the family, but. . . there were some terrible times.  I  have
discovered that what my mother advised me when I was a young parent, "if  you
can't get to them by age twelve, forget it."

So, if you advised, guided, influenced your child properly until age
twelve, and he was okay then, he will be okay again. The teens years are not for
tormenting parents, they're years for exploring, trying out different
personas,  trying to fit in with whatever group they're in (and sometimes the
groups are  horrible.)  You can't tell them to abstain when the hormones are
raging, if  you haven't had THAT talk years before.  Say, around age ten. A
ten-year-old has more maturity and sense than does a teenager.

They want to be adult, yet their brains are still not formed enough to
control impulses.   Sex is cool, drugs might be cool, driving around  as fast
as one can might be cool.  A parent does not know these things are  going on,
so all you can do is bite your lip and wait for the midnight call,  "come
bail me out," "Come get me, I've had too much."

I raised my kids as well as I could until they were twelve, then gave them
words I hoped they would remember, "if you need me, call, anytime,
anywhere, and  I'll come and get you. No lecture, no punishment, just call."

And, that happened a time or two. I was just glad to get them back in one
piece, with a hard lesson learned.

That's all you can do. But. .the good news, they grow out of it. My
children are now my best friends, and I am able to advise them on their own
terrible teens from time to time.