TheBanyanTree: Father's Day

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Jul 8 14:27:59 PDT 2011

In a message dated 7/8/2011 2:45:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ms.pat.martin at gmail.com writes:

Love is  the way.

A beautiful story. It brought back so many memories. Haven't we of a
certain era all had to "stay in love" through the fading of our parents?

In passing, my mother (who had suffered years with bone cancer, a terrible
and terrifying way to go) held my hand one midnight in her seventh year of
the  disease.  She dozed, but when she brightened, she wanted to talk. We
spoke  of letting go, it's all right. Her concern was the well-being of my
father, who,  after days of watchfulness, had gone home to rest. It's all
right.  He'll  be fine.  Promise?  I promise.

She dozed, holding my hand, and her breathing became like the sigh of a
night breeze through the treetops. "I see Grandmother," she said, waking a
bit.  Her speech was as cleared as though in the old days of our long chats.
"She's  waiting.  And Jack . ." her mother and her brother lost in WWII. "And
Nanny  . ." her grandmother.  "They're calling me."  It's all right. They'll
 look after you.

She smiled.  "I better go."  It's all right. Say hi to them for  me.

And, she let go my hand and went to meet them. I have no doubt what she
saw, and where she went.

NancyLee