TheBanyanTree: Today at 4:00 I get hypnotized.

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 15:10:37 PST 2011

My subconscious does an admirable job of rejecting all suggestions that
would threaten it with imminent collapse. Which is anything that would give
my subconscious the opportunity to relax and stop stressing me out. My
subconscious lives to drive me crazy. With that in mind, I avoid new year's
resolutions like the plague, which is to say I use lots of disinfectant, I
don't shake hands with anyone, and I don't breathe air anyone else has
breathed.

As a result, I haven't improved myself in years. I'm still the same
self-centered low-level drone without a future. My health is bad, my
attitude worse, and my hair is falling out. (That last is unrelated to
anything else, but I thought I'd throw it in there anyway.)

All that said, next year I'm going to either sell my book, or publish it.
Publish or perish, they say, and I'm not about to perish.

I know that's not what they're talking about, whoever they are, but
whatever.

I will get better at writing by writing more, and publishing more. I will
join the 2 hours a day writing club.

I will start reducing clutter on the off chance we may have to move next
year. (The moving thing depends on grad school, not on any whims.) (Not
grad school for me of course, I'm far too old to learn anything new.)

I will decide if I want to finish that novel I've started, and/or I will
work on a collection of essays I've started. Or not. Or I'll prevaricate
until the next decade.

I will shower myself with affection at every opportunity.

I will spend less and save more. (That ties into the possible moving thing.)

I will endeavor to remember that it's not always about me. Though it
usually is. But not always.

I will refrain from making any resolutions because of the likelihood of
failure.

I will, as I've managed to do successfully for several years now, continue
to avoid jungles and deserts. Desserts are another matter altogether
however.

I will continue to lose weight and eventually be fit enough to fit into a
coffin. Not that I'm morbid or anything, but eventually, in 50 years or so,
I will be dead, and I have learned, from burying loved ones, that the
larger coffins cost more. Not that I intend to be buried, but even the
larger cardboard boxes are more expensive than the smaller ones.

I will bite my tongue when it seems like a good idea, keep my temper when
it threatens to explode all over an innocent bystander, and keep my feet
warm. None of those seem at all possible, but I can give it a shot.

I will prepare for the zombie apocalypse by stocking up on weapons and hand
grenades. And doing more cardio.

That's the first part of my list of non-resolutions. I have to start
somewhere, don't I?

Monique Colver
Colver Business Solutions
monique at colverbusinesssolutions.com