TheBanyanTree: vineyard race

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Aug 29 09:05:28 PDT 2011

I ran a 5 mile race at the local Creekbend Vineyard on Saturday. It was
very hot and there was one stinking hill after another. The three
biggest hills were labeled: The Hill of Discomfort, The Hill of
Despair, and The Hill of Death. In between were lots of other hills
that were not labeled with encouraging names so I didn't know whether
to expect discomfort, despair, death, or something heretofore
unimagined. On one hill we breathed a lot of dust. It could've aptly
been labeled The Hill of Choking Dust.  They could've drawn a little
brown lung.

Shortly after the Hill of Despair, many of us were stung by an
underground nest of yellow jackets which had been quite riled up by the
runners who were ahead of us. I got stung on the ankle as did several
other people. It hurt. After the Valley of Stings came the Hill of
Death, and I would say that getting up that hill hurt even more than
the sting, which was throbbing a bit.  The signage even related how
long the hill was and the degree of incline--160 feet of 23 degree
slope.  If you drew a 23 degree angle, you would think, eh, this is not
straight up.  If you have run a 23 degree slope, you would know that,
given the way the human leg moves, and the fact that you are attempting
to go forward at a fast clip, this does indeed work out to be straight
up, despite the actual geometry.

Needless to say, this was one of the more challenging five miles I've
ever run. It was for a good cause, and there was supposed to be free
wine and food afterwards.  Turns out there was only free water and
oranges and we had to buy the wine and food.  But there was a band.
They said there would be and there was.  I'd talked my niece into
running the one mile kids' run.  It was her first race and she did very
well, coming in 7th out of 50 or so kids.  Well done Maddie!  It was
really hot and the last half mile of the kids' run was a steep uphill,
too. I ran the last half mile with her, encouraging her to keep going
up the hill as she was starting to flag a bit.  She took off running
again and ended up doing really well.  After she recovered for a couple
of minutes she said, "Now that I'm not running, I think I feel like
running some more!"  Like I've always contended, running feels so good
after you stop. :)   It was fun to share my love of running with my
niecekins.

After I washed my face and caught my breath I was fine. Despite the
heat and hills, it was only five miles, which is a usual kind of
distance for me. And after all was said and done, the race was in quite
a beautiful place--vineyards and pine forests. Husband and son and I
walked through the vineyards and ate a lot of burgeoningly ripe wine
grapes which were delicious. We sat on a blanket and had homemade
cookies and fresh bread and pesto, fruit and veggies from the farmer's
market and wine, and listened to the band. The sun started setting, red
and orange, and as we drove out, the vineyards and surrounding
hillsides were just stunningly beautiful. We could've been in Italy.
It was a good evening to be alive.

Julie