TheBanyanTree: Some Muvvers really DO have em!!

woofie at woofess.com woofie at woofess.com
Mon May 24 23:03:44 PDT 2010

OK - Let's get a few things straight here!

There is football, which is often called soccer.

Then there is rugby union - commonly called rugger - a gentlemanly but still
physically rough game played by gentlemen, who pretend to be couth.

Then there is rugby league, which is an uncouth game played by uncouth New
South Welshmen and a few other later ring ins. It is characterised by lots
of punch ups between players, between players and referees, between players,
referees and spectators and between spectators themselves. You can tell if a
game of rugby league has been played on a ground by all the pools of blood,
broken beer bottles and chipped teeth scattered everywhere.

Then there is that embarrassing game called Australian Rules, which doesn't
seem to resemble anything much at all. It consists of a lot of grown men
(extremely uncouth grown men) who stand around on a field scratching their
bums while a few other men beat each other silly over a ball at the other
end of the field. This game was invented by Victorians -  from a rather
intellectually-challenged  state which gave the world Fosters and VB. Both
of which are classified as extremely toxic compounds on  govt poisons'
registers.

Lastly, there is something which the rest of the world calls gridiron, but
which Americans erroneously believe is football. The game does have a tiny
ball in it, but the players don't seem to be able to do much with it. This
game is sort of like a reality battle chess game and the players line
themselves up on positions on this grid wearing fancy dress. They then carry
out a complicated dance routine while shouting "HIKE" a lot and looking
upside down through their hind legs. After many hours the players of one
team might actually advance a few feet forward, but this cannot be relied
upon.

Woof, setting you all straight:)