TheBanyanTree: Some Muvvers really DO have em!!

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Tue May 25 00:17:53 PDT 2010

As one might expect - indeed, as one has come to expect - the fleabitten
woofess has much of it wrong and has even missed a couple of facts. Fact
One being that soccer in Oz is more commonly known as and referred to as
'wogball' and Fact Two that Rugby League players the world over do not
have necks!

So let us once more take it from the top.

Gaelic football was the first 'code' and was played by whole Scottish
villages one against another using a pig's bladder as the ball.

Rugby Public School in the town of Rugby in the English Midlands took up
the idea several hundred years ago and to show they were different made
the bladder into the now familiar oval shape. The town is still there,
so is the school. The game itself was probably very close to Rugby
Union, the principal aim of which is take as much time as possible to
score any points.

Rugby League is a watered down version of Rugby Union in which the
principle aim is much the same as RU but includes the added requirement
of maiming as many players on both sides as possible.

With the exception of certain elite teams such as Manchester United and
(Woolwich) Arsenal or the game as played in some South American
countries, wogball (soccer) has to be one of the slowest (if not THE
slowest) and boring ball games in the Universe.

AFL (originally VFL) is, however, one of the fastest and exciting
spectator sports of all time. And, contrary to the 'popular' opinion of
Peter (Manly Sea Eagles play Rugby League) and Woofie (whose state
capital and port have an AFL team each), the games does have rules and
the next time either of you sees an AFL player scratching his bum it
will be the first time - very difficult to scratch one's bum when
sprinting up the field bouncing a ball when being pursued by 18 very fit
young men not to mention those on one's own side.

roger