TheBanyanTree: Some Muvvers really DO have em!!

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Mon May 24 22:57:23 PDT 2010

On 25/05/2010 15:27, Laura wrote:
> On 25 May 2010 at 14:30, Roger Pye wrote:
>
>> AFL
>
> For some reason, my husband was watching Australian Football this past weekend.  I
> watched for a few minutes, then asked him what the rules were.  He said, "I have no idea."

Well that's no surprise.  It's like the knife fight in 'Butch Cassidy
and the Sundance Kid'.

There are 18 players on each side, an oval ball that they have to bounce
as they run--nobody's got any time for rules. They even took the word
"Rules" out of the name, a while back.  They're honest.

For outsiders, Australia has four mainstream football codes: football
(aka 'soccer'), Rugby League, Rugby Union and what many of us still call
'Aussie Rules', arguably the oldest formalised football code of them
all.  It has one drawback: nobody else plays it, though Irish "Gaelic
football" is similar.

How did we get here?

peter

--
  _--|\   Peter Macinnis, feral word herder, & science gossip.
/     \  Inexplicable events coordinator and former designer