TheBanyanTree: Digging for the buried

PJMoney pmon3694 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 13 02:09:06 PST 2010

Since I read the report of Jorge's death I've been trying to find out
whether it's true or not.  I've rung the Department of Foreign Affairs and
Trade, the Australian Embassy in Spain, the Spanish Consulate in Sydney and
the Chilean Consulate in Marbella.  An English speaking person I finally got
on to at the Chilean Consulate asked me to send an email - to a gmail.com
address, of all things!  But I did.  That was on the 5th and so far I've had
no response from there.

Yesterday I decided that I might be waiting forever for a bureaucrat with a
gmail email address to provide the information I want so I wrote to a lawyer
in Chile.  Surely, I thought, someone who makes money by actually helping
people would respond promptly.  This morning I switched on the computer
fully expecting to receive some sort of response, but there was none and
none has come all day.  Maybe the matter is too lacking in possible lucre to
prick that person's interest.

So now I've sent emails to two private detectives in Marbella, asking what
they'll charge to find out what I want to know.  If that doesn't work I'm
not sure what I'll do.  Try another private detective, I suppose.

Christian is getting married on February 27th.  An inheritance, even a small
one, would be a nice wedding gift but nobody is holding their breath for
that.