TheBanyanTree: Consumable Gratitude

TLW tlwagener at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 11:32:12 PST 2010

Sachet's tale of "consumable persuasion" reminded me of my own baking
last year about this time.  The Writers Guild was on strike, remember?
(Or was it two years ago? Time flees)  The strike was already getting
old -- the honking horns of support were fewer, fewer members were
showing up at the studio gates to march with signs.  Public speeches
were dwindling.  We had reached the "hunkering down" phase,
apparently.

I made some chocolate croissants.  A new Trader Joe's product that
were (almost) as much fun to make as they were to eat.  I made a
dozen, and hoped that would be enough.  I wrapped them up in a
reusable Trader Joe's bag and set out for a certain gate in Burbank.
"Army Wives" shot at the studio, and the writing staff  was
responsible for this gate.  I don't have cable, and have never seen
the series, but I was on the mailing list of the producer, and she
provided me with personal insights and updates about the strike.

I pulled into the gate, which was blocked by about ten very depressed
people.  I don't know why I thought they'd be glad to see me.  Don't I
LOOK like a Writers Guild member?  Oh, yeah, right.  I do not.  The
group squinted their eyes and backed up suspiciously when I got out of
my car.  I didn't realize they had been egg-bombed and cussed-out
regularly during the strike.  So much for personal insights and
updates -- biased by definition.

I held out the bag.

"Chocolate croissants!"

A couple of them edged forward.  "Wow.  Really?"

"Yes.  Help yourself."

A fellow put his gloved hand in the bag.  "Oh my God!  They're warm!"

The group gathered around to see and smell for themselves.  I set down
the bag and headed back to my open driver's door.

"Thanks!  Wow!  Thank you!" they called.

I grinned and waved.  "No.  I'm a writer.  Thank YOU."

I pulled back into traffic and drove off.

Who was the (un)masked (wo)man?

:-D

xoxoSidda