TheBanyanTree: the power of consumable persuasion

Sachet MountainWhisper at att.net
Fri Jan 8 08:02:46 PST 2010

Last time it snowed we were the very last to get our road plowed and
then with only one sweep down the middle; which on a narrow country road
makes it even more challenging to meet someone going the opposite
direction. We just started out and prayed we didn't meet a neighbor or
at least met one with high 4-wheel drive since the sides of the road had
such deep snow.

Plus, since the rock slide (not too far from us) being a top priority to
get I-40 cleared (it will take several months), all our road crews have
been diverted to there; which means our gravel road has been suffering
from lack of attention. Usually they grade and gravel it every other
month. I like having a gravel road, although we are in line to get
asphalt. It makes people drive slower (top speed you can go is about
20-25) and it adds a country ambiance. I do like that our driveway is
asphalt though, because the snow and ice melt more quickly since we have
southern exposure.

So anyway, I always call and thank the road crew, because I do
appreciate their hard work and consistency. And I know they get more
complaints than anything else. But recently, I've been calling and
asking them to fix our road for months now, with no results.

Yesterday, when I was coming home from work, I was delighted to see the
huge grader ahead of me. He only goes about 5 mph, but I didn't care. I
stayed well back to let him know I wasn't rushing him to get out of my
way. But he eventually found a place to pull over and let me pass. I
rushed home and slammed some cinnamon rolls into the oven, figuring I
had just enough time before he reached our house.

As soon as those babies were done I popped in the car and drove to find
the crew and delivered them. This is one of those times when the looks
of utter shocked surprise were so hilariously entertaining. They were
astounded; which quickly changed to drooling happiness, because it's
darn cold out and the cinnamon rolls were still hot. I thanked them for
their hard work and quickly left them to enjoy the rolls (with pretty
flowered napkins).

So guess who's road got plowed first thing this morning after another
snowstorm?

<g>

Next time it will be brownies. I think I'll mention that when I call. ;-)