TheBanyanTree: Walking the Illawarra escarpment

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jan 7 19:42:14 PST 2010

In 1974, when our oldest son was born, my wife went to a residential
mothercraft centre to learn the ropes. Her own mother's ideas were
antiquated, my own mother's advice fluttered between the useless,
fruitbattery and the potentially lethal, but Chris picked up the
knowledge and confidence to tackle child-rearing, and formed some bonds
which have lasted something over 35 years.

Every so often, the mothers who were there in her week meet for lunch or
whatever. For my part, I prefer to avoid the gatherings, because the men
were all tall, bluff, booming rugby types whose conversation revolved
around share prices and the intricacies of off-road vehicles. I was
never sure whether a limited slip differential was part of a vehicle or
something used in the derivatives market.

One of them seemed a bit less obnoxious, and because his wife was one of
Chris' best friends, I sort of put up with him over the years, but with
no great enthusiasm.

In retrospect, what a wasted opportunity! Warren has not only played
less Rugby than I (I notched up a career total of around 20 minutes) but
he is an enthusiastic bushwalker.  By trade, he is an endocrinologist
and his wife Lyn is a GP (medico in general practice) is just as
enthused by wilderness walks, but they now prefer to go out in a
slightly larger group.

We are all getting along in years and there is more safety in having a
four in the party. Their problem has been finding people of their age
and temperament who can keep up. The end result is that we are doing
more walks together with them.

Because of his work (mainly on diabetes), Warren is very keen on
exercise that involves walking without motor vehicles. In the longer
term, he thinks he may assemble a web site of walks that can be
effected, far from the madding crowd, but using public transport, so as
to avoid having to return to a starting point.

He says he enjoys my company, because I make him look normal. By an odd
chance, this, in reverse, is my assessment of his own greatest
usefulness. We aren't identical, though: he said yesterday that he has a
problem, in that other people don't understand him. I countered that
other people have a problem, in that they don't understand me.

Yesterday, we drove to their house, then drove in their car to a railway
station, where he has a parking spot, then took a train to the coast an
hour or so south of Sydney, a point where coastal cliffs loom more than
300 metres above the sea, with a stacked geology that has sandstone on
top, then shale, then coal. We took a cab and then walked along the dry
sandstone escarpment before taking an ancient track, once a bullock-cart
track but almost certainly dating back to pre-white days, winding down
over shale through tall, straight trees, back to the railway line.

If/when I get back to a planned, half-done and stalled series of YA
historical fiction, that area is going to feature in a chase scene. I
probably should say when/if because I am regathering my interest in the
project. Just as soon as I finish the current effort, which is a book to
be called 'Australian Backyard Naturalist': a guide for young readers on
where to find weird wildlife, and what to make of it. My trade, so much
as I have one, is that of biology teacher, but I have spent my life
poking my nose down burrows, poking sticks in crevices and trapping
strange wild things. Chris is also a biologist.

Warren and Lyn like having us along, because while they know the routes,
we know the plants, the animals and the rocks far better, and I know
where to look for them. We like going along because we see new places,
and because it is helping me fill in the photographic gaps for 'ABN'.

Along the way yesterday, I had two main targets: catching and
photographing a leech and a centipede. We missed both of those*, but I
got a marvellous mistletoe, we found some digger wasps (aka sand wasps)
digging their burrows, something I have never before seen in the wild,
and on the train home, Warren found a live tick which went into a tube
for photography tomorrow. It was running along Lyn's leg at the time.

There was some confusion, and at one point, the tick dropped and ran off
along the seat, causing one of us to speculate about whether "I must
have got it off a train seat" would be more or less believable than
saying that an STD must have been acquired from a toilet seat.
(Traditional medical response: "that's a funny place to have sex".)

He also found a live tick that had attached to his lip, so back at his
house, he put on a special cream to kill it and then gave me that tick
as well. The cream has a story attaching to it: you can only get it on
prescription, but with two doctors in the house, that was no problem.

He bought one tube, but they have a holiday house, so he then wrote
himself a script for a second tube a day or so later, and noticed an odd
look from the pharmacist, so when he got home, he read the labelling and
learned that the product he knows best for its power to kill ticks and
make them let go without injecting toxins, is primarily recommended for
dealing with pubic lice. Clearly, the chemist wondered what the two
doctors had been up to.

We are starting to see his larrikin streak coming forth now the guards
are down. I started things by telling a few tales of eccentrics that I
am gathering for the ingenuity book. In particular, I mentioned Lord
Berners, who, among other tricks, would ensure that he had a railway
compartment to himself. At stations, he would don a black skull-cap and
black spectacles, and lean from the window, beckoning at boarding
passengers. If this was not enough to scare people off, he would produce
a clinical thermometer and take his temperature at five-minute
intervals, with a worried look on his face.**

Warren then told us of an occasion when he rang his wife from the train
to say that he would be at the station at 6:13 pm, and would she pick
him up? An Englishman who was travelling on the train asked him how he
knew this. Warren asked him if he had seen the film 'Rain Man'. The
Englishman said he had. Well, said Warren, he was the Australian version
of the Rain Man, and he had been out on day release. The startled man
expressed a flustered hope that it had been a pleasant day release and
beat a hasty retreat.***

And this is the bloke who opined on one walk that I looked like Mr Bean
when I produced a portable vacuum cleaner  (a 'Dust Buster') and started
running it over some trees to gather microfauna so I could photograph
them when I got home!

Anyhow, what a pity we didn't get to know each other better sooner.
Sydney would have been a changed city by now, if we had tackled it in
our primes. We are working on catching up now, though.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

* Well, not entirely missed. A leech showed up in the washing machine
today.  We think it must have been in clothes, and it was now well and
truly dead, though seeping blood. It was small, but it will do at a
pinch and it couldn't move, so I photographed it. No animal entering
these premises at the moment is safe from being made into an exhibition.

** Berners was what they then delicately called a confirmed bachelor.
There is one tale about Berners that I have been unable to confirm,
although Diana Mitford, Lady Mosley (she married the unspeakably nasty
Oswald), claimed that it was true. Berners preferences were no secret,
and a bogus newspaper report of an engagement between him and Violet
Trefusis, a lesbian, upset Violet's mother to the extent that she
demanded that there be a public denial.

According to Lady Mosley, Berners sent a note "to the London papers",
indicating that "Lord Berners has left Lesbos for the Isle of Man".
Another version has his mother demanding the withdrawal, and claims that
the notice appeared in 'The Times'. The closest I have been able to find
is a Court Circular, published in 'The Times' in 1933, reading simply
"Lord Berners has arrived in Lesbos".

*** In palaeoanthropology (another of my trades), we have something
called "the subway test" which basically is: if this near human sat
beside you in the subway, would you stay where you are, move to another
seat, head for another carriage or leap screaming from the nearest
window.  Warren apparently was a type III on this occasion.  No matter.
  He makes me look normal.

--
  _--|\   Peter Macinnis, word tinker, and science gossip,
/     \  William McGonagall Fellow in scansion adjustment, University