TheBanyanTree: Into the Past

Theta Brentnall tybrent at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 10:09:56 PST 2010

I keep a little book of prayers and sayings that touch me.  One of them
is a little prayer by someone named M. Hancock:

We thank Thee, Lord, for Memory - to live again the past,
  that in remembering bygone days the fruits of joy shall last.
But for the power to forget, we thank Thee even more.
The stings, the slights, the hurts, the wounds, can hurt us never more.

I like "Thanks for the Memories", too.

Some of mine:
Darling Lizzie at the age of three, after being told she has to eat her
peas or she'll sit at the table until the cows come home.  After a few
minutes, saying she had heard someone at the door, and running to open
it, then peeking her head around the corner to announce, "It's the cows,
Daddy!  They've come home!  Can I be done with the peas now?"
Darling Maggie at the same age, falling down on her bottom and then
telling her dad that her butt hurt and slyly asking, "want to kiss it?"
Doing tai chi on a stretch of deserted beach in Oregon, and finishing
the pattern only to realize that a whole flock of sea gulls are silently
sitting on the sand a few feet away, watching me.
Holding my babies the minute after they were born.  Watching my
son-in-law fall instantly and completely in love with his brand new
daughter the moment he took her in his arms.
Standing in the rain, soaked to the skin while I watched a thunderstorm
sending lightning dancing across the peaks of the Wasatch Mountains
Scuba diving on a coral reef and just hanging, suspended and unmoving,
in front of the coral until everything forgot I was there, then watching
all the tiny, shy creatures going about their lives.

The more I remember, the more I remember.  It's all good.

Theta