TheBanyanTree: halfway there

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 05:49:52 PST 2010

In a message dated 2/18/2010 3:31:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jateague at indiana.edu writes:

This is  what it feels like to run seven miles in the frigid cold on an
ice-caked,  snow-packed rail trail, squelching through pools of black
mud in the few  spots where the limestone banks on either side flatten
out to meet a  street crossing allowing some weak sun through the tree
limbs to melt the  ice: it hurts.

Though I never trained for a marathon, there were days in 'olden times'
when I had to go out and feed horses, lug hay bales through snowdrifts, to
break open and toss out into the pasture, clean the packed ice out of their
hooves with an ice pick, hack the frozen stuff out of stalls (and there's
nothing like a frozen flake of horse poop whacking up into your eye). I was
breathless just trudging through thigh-high snow, leading a plunging horse
from  barn to pasture gate. The subzero always made them super frisky.
Swinging a  sledge hammer to break the ice in the water trough so they could drink.
The last  chore being to throw all my weight against the pickup to break
the tires loose  from the icy driveway, being as it was water when I parked
there. It was  two-wheel-drive, and unable to walk out of the ice on its own.
Then, to  limp back to the house for coffee and aspirin before hitting the
day.

I feel your every ache.  But, keep it up. It won't kill, but only  makes us
tougher