TheBanyanTree: halfway there

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 18 12:31:27 PST 2010

As of this week, I am halfway through the training plan to get myself
ready for the half marathon I'm attempting in early April.  Halfway
through and I have not had a serious injury so far, knock wood, and I
have not yet quit, although I've given it some serious consideration a
few times.

This is what it feels like to run seven miles in the frigid cold on an
ice-caked, snow-packed rail trail, squelching through pools of black
mud in the few spots where the limestone banks on either side flatten
out to meet a street crossing allowing some weak sun through the tree
limbs to melt the ice: it hurts.  Not forever.  Not even so much later
the same day after aspirin and a hot bath.  But at the time, it hurts
pretty much the whole way.  It is mind over matter the whole damn way.
Cold upper thighs, raw throat, aching butt muscles working hard to keep
lifting my legs which are heavier in the cold, and the added weight of
the rubber-and-springs Yaktrax gizmos which keep me from sliding on
each step and the super thick, over-sized winter sweat pants I call
"the big fatties".  No one looks good in these sweatpants so I can't
even be mentally spurred on by the thought that I am cutting a fine
figure.  This is where the rubber and the willpower hit the road.  This
Saturday I do nine miles.  It's supposed to snow Friday night.

My running buddy said today, as we put in a quick four miles over our
lunch hour, again on snow and ice in the achy cold, "Imagine how we
will fly when we are running on real ground again!"  That is something
to look forward to--flying.

Julie