TheBanyanTree: introduction

Jakob Straub flachrattenmann at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 6 08:46:03 PST 2010

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and responses to my introduction
and first story posted here.

@Julie: Yes, poems! :-) I'll make sure to post at least one soon. I'm
not so sure about whether I am or have a new voice, but I'm eager to
contribute here in every way. And as for challenging yourself on several
fronts lately - that's a good thing, really. As for the physical, I've
taken up rock climbing last summer and try to get regular exercise that
way. Mentally, I try to instate the regular in my writing. To have the
discipline to write daily. And oh, you reminded me: I didn't include my
age. Not that it matters. I'm 29.

@Jim: Thanks - my English has surely improved over the years (at least
in part due to espresso-fiction and creative writing, I guess) but it's
still far from excellent. I have, however, been known to try and pass
myself off as American with outcomes good and bad (always fun).
Espresso-fiction was at times riddled with tech problems, most commonly
the issue of posts not making it to the list or some subscribers. I
remember you having subscription problems at a time. Golly, that was in
2003. I remember your email address, just as I did Paul's. About your
son, I'm not so sure. Were you the one to suggest we move the list to
our own server running Linux? I've been a happy ubuntu user for a couple
of years now, though I still wouldn't trust myself with setting up and
maintaining a dedicated list server, otherwise I would have given
espresso-fiction one more shot. Maybe. Then again, time-wise, it feels
kind of good to be just a list member again.

@Dave: I remember how I felt when you trusted me with moderator and
manager privileges on espresso-fiction back then; yes, gave it a good
long run, but a part of me is really sad to see it go - as if I've let
the list down. The important thing though is that we're still involved
in writing circles. I remember that a while ago you had a group that met
in person (offline, if you will). Are you still meeting up? Or is school
keeping you busy? I met with a group here in Berlin just yesterday, and
they're a good size (about 20) and mixture of older and younger guys. I
hope things will work out well with them.
I had an FB account for a brief period, because in the summer of 2008 I
made a lot of international friends and I thought it was the best way to
stay in touch with them. It wasn't. :) I must say though that FB easily
lets you build a network of friends from all over the world - one site,
many different user interfaces in different languages, so you can find a
person regardless of where on the globe they have originally signed up.
Seems the natural way to do it, but other social networking sites have
taken different approaches. As for assimilation: I disagree with FB's
ToS, I must say. I use twitter, occasionally, and I've promised Leo to
help out on Capital of Nasty more often. I also have a wordpress blog
just sitting there and should get it going, I think. You see, so many
things to do, so little free time. ;-)

Keep writing everyone!
Jake.

--
If you read, you'll judge; If you write, you'll invent.