TheBanyanTree: Dee

Tom Smith deserthiker2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 07:33:13 PST 2010

Dee.  The light around me feels dimmer.  Whatever corner of the world she
played in was warmed by her presence.

Encountered an old friend on a walk around a lake Sunday morning.  One of
his most frequent comments was "It is what it is."  We got to talking about
different sayings, and how the most memorable ones came from coaches.  Dee
was a coach for many.  More than she probably realized, by example.  I
intend to keep "Knockers up" alive and working.

My friend once coached Little League.  We found it amusing that so much of
the advice that leads to success in games also does so in life.  He
recommended a movie titled "The Legend of Bagger Vance," made in 2000 but still available at the local Blockbuster.  The movie was somewhat about
golf as a metaphor for life.  Golf would be a much different game if it were more like life in that you only got to play 18 holes, if you were
lucky, and had to start off not knowing anything and learn as you go.  The most memorable line in the movie for me was "Golf is a game that can't be
won; it can only be played."

In one of the rare email exchanges I had with Dee, she mentioned that one
of her heroines was Little Lulu.  Dee remains one of mine.