TheBanyanTree: Nighttime Sounds

redclay redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 8 23:21:50 PDT 2009

The moon's on the wane but bright.  The slightest of scud moves over it. In
its slow, steady journey it is boldly tonight's main sentinel.

Arriving at the cul-de-sac I'm greeted by a lone voice.

Who-whooooo-who-who! reverberates in a strong bass that's so low in tone and
so strong that it's almost haunting. It's the deepest call from an owl that
I've ever heard.

It calls again and this time I think I have it localized in a tall sweetgum
about a stone's throw away, right at the edge of the green belt.

Who-whooooo-who-who!

As I keep a close eye on my small dog I wonder how big this owl must be.  A
small dog or cat would surely be in jeopardy if it was in its sights.  A
slight breeze brings a quiver to the lantana planted at the foot of the
mailbox.   And with that, a sudden shiver overpowers me, starting deep in my
torso and ending like convulsions in my shoulders and exiting out my arms.

Standing there with my dog on the leash I imagine a huge owl diving out of the
blackness of the sweetgum's limbs, and, with a whoosh of air passing rapidly
over the owl's wings, followed by a sickening, stiffled, ever-so-short yelp,
as it's razor edged talons pierce and then paralyze the small dog in truly
one fell swoop.

Now it sits there, hunkered over its prey, staring me down with my dead pet in
its grasp.

"Don't mess with me," its eyes say.  "Turn the other way and leave . . .
now!."

Who-whoooo-who-who!  erupts again, but in a slightly higher pitch, now further
away, down the creek that divides the green belt.   Then an eerie silence.

The deep voice of the nearby owl in the huge sweetgum answers.

The distant owl repeats.

Oh, I think,slowly coming out of my reverie, Thank goodness . . . it appears
that for now he's got only socializing on his mind.