TheBanyanTree: Nighttime Sounds

redclay redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 9 00:07:05 PDT 2009

A few days removed from full, the moon's on the wane.  The slightest scud
moves over it. In its slow, steady journey, it is truly tonight's faithful
sentinel and unusually bright.

Arriving at the cul-de-sac, I'm greeted by a lone voice.

Who-whooooo-who-who! reverberating in a strong bass that's so low in tone and
so strong that it's almost haunting.

It's the deepest call from an owl that I've ever heard.

It calls again and this time I think I have it localized in a tall sweetgum
about a stone's throw away, right at the edge of the green belt.

Who-whooooo-who-who!

I keep a close eye on my small dog and wonder how big this owl must be.  A
small dog or cat would surely be in jeopardy if it was in its sights.

A slight breeze brings the faintest quiver to the lantana planted at the
foot of the mailbox.   A sudden shiver overpowers me, starting deep in my
torso, ending like convulsions in my shoulders and finally exiting out my
arms.

Standing there with my dog on the leash I imagine a huge owl diving out of the
blackness of the sweetgum's limbs, and, with a whoosh of air passing rapidly
over the owl's wings, it is followed by a sickening, stifled, ever-so-short
yelp, as its razor-edged talons pierce and then paralyze the small dog in what
is truly one fell swoop.

It sits there, hunkered over its prey, staring me down with my pet limp in
its murderous grasp.

"Don't mess with me," its eyes say.  "Turn the other way and leave . . .
now!."

Who-whoooo-who-who!  erupts again, but in a slightly higher pitch, now further
away, down the creek that divides the green belt.   Then an eerie silence.

The deep voice of the nearby owl in the huge sweetgum answers.

The distant owl repeats.

Oh, I think,slowly coming out of my reverie, Thank goodness . . . it appears
that for now he's only got socializing on his mind.

  bd
   ----