TheBanyanTree: Paranoia

Jim Miller jim at maze.cc
Tue Oct 13 20:03:40 PDT 2009

Paranoia may save your life someday, or it may deprive you of a normal
existence. We are driven to it by all manner of fears, both imagined and
real, often initiated by wild but well meaning tails, Internet urban
legends, and media sensationalism. Regardless, reasoned skepticism has its
place within contemporary culture.

Linda and I have been traveling a great amount for business lately; most of
it involving airlines and terminal security. We took some personal time to
visit friends in California a couple of weeks ago. Normally we would have
driven and enjoyed the time away together. Since neither of us had taken a
train for over 40 years, it seemed a relaxing if somewhat romantic way to
pass the time. (No metal detectors or humorless security personnel, just
friendly volunteers directing us to the correct track.) What could be more
enjoyable that a scenic trip through the mountains and down the coast on the
Amtrak Coast Starlight. After all, who can't sleep in your seat for one
night for a little romance. This story is not about train rides. (I found
nothing romantic, although I still might like to hop a freight with Wes.)
Accept a declaration that this will likely be my last overnight train ride.
This is a story about paranoia on the train.

The northbound 14 Coast Starlight pulled into San Jose station 1 minute late
at 8:27 PM and departed at 8:42 PM. Linda and I settled in to our coach
seats in the last car. This train had a dining car, but dinner had already
passed for the late boarders, but the lounge car was open for snacks and
refreshments. The upper level of the lounge car has tables and outward
facing seats with curved dome windows offering a great view when not passing
through tunnels or the black of night. We did enjoy some lovely Oregon and
Columbia Gorge scenery the next day.

Coach lights are dimmed by 10 PM and Linda was making an attempt at sleep. I
decided to move up to the lounge car where the seating was more comfortable.
I took a reference book I've been reading in preparation for a seminar I'm
giving later this month. It was sometime after 10:00 and except for
occasional lights from passing small communities, the Westside view was
pitch black. I noticed a young man sitting about 10 feet to my left, sitting
quietly, looking blankly into the darkness. Other than to notice that he was
carrying a small tweed over-the-shoulder carry-on, I did pay attention to
him. To this day I couldn't identify him anywhere. I noticed that he would
occasionally get up and walk to a nearby bar where he seemed to be checking
his cell phone or texting, and then he'd sit down. After 11 PM, he left the
lounge car leaving his carry-on in the seat next to him. this roused my
curiosity. He returned shortly with a laptop, which he opened and turned on.
Whatever reason he had for booting his laptop only lasted a few minutes.
Again he returned to the bar where I again observed him checking his
cellphone. By now I'm becoming extremely curious.

While the Amtrak website has a typical list of disallowed carry-on items, I
never observed any evidence of security or enforcement, let alone random
checks for identification as suggested on the website. There was, located In
every station, obvious signs asking passengers to be aware of unattended
luggage and to Always Report Anything Suspicious.

And the young man returned to his seat. This time he didn't just stare into
the black night, he placed what appeared to be a ceremonial scarf over his
head, which he then topped with a knit cap. Now I'm thinking; what's going
on here? Frequent texting, culminated by an online contact; am I observing
something subversive? I never looked to see if he was middle-eastern, but I
noticed darker skin. Paranoia; what should I do. Thoughts rushed to my mind,
fraught with questions, streaming at light speed. Should I tell someone what
I'm thinking? Should I walk over and tell him what I've observed and that
his actions have caused me discomfort. If this were a real terrorist action,
would I be a hero and throw my body on the bomb? I suddenly became very
brave, but I didn't move. Within minutes, he rose, slung his carry-on over
his shoulder and disappeared through the door to the next coach car. It was
11:30 PM.

Before I could decide on any action, the train began to slow for a stop.
Within a couple of minutes, the night sky lighted with a small cityscape and
the sign at the stop read Davis. A few people de-trained and there was my
fellow passenger in the gray knit cap. Within a few steps, he dropped a
skateboard and disappeared into the night. Likely a University student for
all I know. I haven't heard of any terrorist activities in Davis, but for a
moment, my imagination ran wild.

I thought that I'd be less paranoid next time, then just yesterday, on the
international news, I hear the French have arrested a French nuclear
scientist for having computer contact with Al Qaeda in Africa and
communicating terrorist action. He received his doctorate training at
Stanford. . . . Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.

BTW, I'll be in San Diego for a few days around November 14. Would anyone in
the area like to sit down over a cup of coffee? Write me.

Jim