TheBanyanTree: Wonder dog?

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 18:35:31 PDT 2009

Dogs are the most entertaining creatures. Yesterday the charming husband was
downstairs making his lunch. He has a tendency to cook things on breaks,
going up and down the stairs so I'm never sure when he's at lunch or when
he's just roaming between outgoing calls. Other times he's at his desk for
hours at a time, so there's no telling. I don't worry about it, since I'm
doing my own work. We each make our lunch when we each feel like it, and
occasionally we pass each other in the hallway, or we sit downstairs for a
few minutes before one of us heads back up. He'd decided to use up the
bacon, since it was just sitting there (likely story), so he'd cooked it and
made a sandwich. I was sitting on the couch enjoying my lunch, and he came
into the living room and sat down next to me and we asked each other how
work was.
I don't know why he left his bacon sandwich on the kitchen counter.
Sometimes he makes food and then leaves it laying around. This is one of
those boy mysteries I don't worry about, though occasionally I'll say
something appropriate like, "Are you going to eat that, or did you just make
it for fun?" But this time his habit of leaving food around was just the
opportunity Ash had been looking for, and the sound of something falling in
the kitchen, right behind us, alerted us to the possibility that something
was going down.

And there was Ash, with the bacon sandwich, quite pleased with himself for
having won the prize, the prize that he was obviously deserving of, for why
else would someone leave perfectly good food laying around? Charming husband
was not pleased, and when he yelled at Ash the poor dog came running to me,
as if I'd protect him.

Charming husband went back up to work, his break being over, and later he
made more bacon, determined to get his bacon sandwich no matter what Ash had
to say about it. This time he did not leave it unattended.

--
Monique Colver