TheBanyanTree: I Stopped Writing

Dee Churchill deechurchill at gmail.com
Thu May 28 10:24:23 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM, Monique Colver <monique.colver at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't know why I'm telling you this. I don't know why I'm thinking of it
> at all. For some time now, maybe a couple of weeks? I haven't written
> anything. Not a grocery list, not a memo to self, not any of my assigned
> tasks, like the blog I was to do for my networking group that I never did,
> and now I'm behind on yet another one because we went and had another
> meeting.

For what it's worth, Missy Mac, it all sounds perfectly normal to me. We
won't mention there are some unkind folk who question my definition of
normal.

Sometimes one feels like writing. Sometimes one doesn't. I've been in one of
the Not Writing spaces my own self lately. But my subconscious is taking up
the slack. It's the weirdest thing. When I go to sleep, I keep reading
whatever book I was reading before I turned out the light. I start dreaming
and my subconscious starts writing the continuing adventures of whatever
hero I just left on the bedside table. The writing style is always the same
as the author of said book. Sometimes the dream is so vivid that I'm
disconcerted to find, when I actually get back to the book, that the real
story didn't go anywhere near the direction I thought it went.

I wouldn't be surprised if your subconscious was doing stuff behind the
scenes, too. Gathering and blending material. Working over the compost pile,
so to speak. And one of these days (or nights) more writing is going to fall
out of your fingers onto the keyboard. Yay!

Hugs, Dee ...