TheBanyanTree: One Day I'd Like to . . .

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 18 09:14:50 PDT 2009

On a visit to New York City one day I want to extend the trip and do
something that caught my fancy.  On my recent trip to the New York
City area this week I became aware of some possibilities that I
previously was not aware of and I let my imagination delve into the
other day.  Once the idea hit I was hooked.

After fiddling around and following links on the WWW, I think it
would be grand to take the Long Island Railroad train for a 120 mile
train ride from the LIRR terminal at Pennsylvania Station in
Manhattan, cross the East River and continue all the way down the
south shore of Long Island to Montauk and spend a few days at Hither
Hills State Park.  This is a three hour train ride that I could use
the time to surf the Internet, catch a nap, chat with other train
riders, and psyche myself up for the coming days stay out at the end
of the island.

 From there I could fish in the surf, camp using a backpacker tent,
hike some unique locales, and visit the other state parks in the area
(Camp Hero State Park & Shadmoor State Park, for instance)

Here's a link to the state parks mentioned above:   http://
nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=48

It would be a challenge to properly pack and carry the items I would
need for such a trip and transport them by train but I think well
worth it.  Due to restrictions I would only be able to carry the
barest of minimums.

To stay out way near the tip -- the furthermost end  -- of Long
Island, to me at least,  would be a thrill and an adventure.  How
could it not be memorable!

And to start from the crowded underground chaos that is Penn Station
in the heart of New York City, taking the Long Island Railroad train
all the way to tip of Long Island, soaking in all that is the
outdoors available there in the furthermost eastern reaches of New
York state is the kinda' thing that I like to dream about and want to
do someday.

I want to see the sunrise over the ocean from there, spend nights
under the stars there, feel the ocean breezes and salt spray on my
face, feel the tug of hard fighting fish on my line, watch the
moonrise above the deep blue waters of the Atlantic and fall into a
deep slumber in my tent after a hard day's hike.

It's just a little adventure I want to make happen.