TheBanyanTree: My Son Planted a Seed

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 4 11:08:44 PDT 2009

My son planted a bean seed in a little soil inside a styrofoam cup
one day and placed it by the window.  The he asked me (since he knew
that I loved to garden):

What, now?

Here's what I suggested,

Son, how about taking a little time in the interim between the
planting of your seed and the plant making its appearance to ponder
the miracle of a plant growing from a seed and the miracle of life
continuing.

Ponder how all the characteristics of that "life to be",  with all
its complex acts, including preparing to die and pass on again, from
untold generations past,  the preserved savvy needed to survive when
it generates its own seed.  Consider that those marvels are now
unleashed by your actions.

Ponder DNA codes in that seed of such complexity that they put to
shame the most complex computer codes ever written, and somehow that
super-complex knowledge is remarkably carried over and infused into
each "lowly" little seed.

Ponder that none of it would happen without deadly nuclear fusion
raging 93 million miles miles away warming that styrofoam cup now,
while the ground you walk on and the planter you placed those seeds
in is actually spinning at 1000 miles an hour while traveling around
that nuclear fusion source at 67,000 mph and has now reached the
point in its yearly journey that we call summer-- all while you help
make life continue by dropping that seed into that cup of soil and
wait on what some think is a simple thing to happen.

And ponder this:  that as complex, wonderful and amazing as that all
is, you, uniquely, are as well.