TheBanyanTree: From Pam via bounce (how fitting <g>) - "My Mattress Adventure"

Sachet MountainWhisper at att.net
Fri Dec 11 14:52:18 PST 2009

More than a year ago, Jim and I started looking for a new mattress set.
  The one he had was pitiful so we trashed it, and the one I have had
was almost just as bad, but we kept it anyway since we had to have
something to sleep on!  And we started the great "New Mattress Quest".
What a PITA!!!!!!!  The sales folk urged us to lay on the mattress!  One
can't figure out what's comfortable just by sitting on it!!  We should
LAY on it, get comfy!!

Are they crazy!??!  Laying on it wasn't going to help either!!  What we
needed to do was move into the showrooms for a night and actually try
SLEEPING on the durned things!!  For a few weeks, we stopped wherever we
saw a sign, and we walked around and looked and talked, and even got
horizontal a few times - always being careful to keep most of our bodies
OFF of the mattresses that a lot of other folks had laid on also!!  And
mattresses are NOT cheap!  Holy crap!  Sure, sure... if you divide the
price by how many months slash years one could own it, it probably
doesn't sound so bad - but meanwhile it's a huge expense at the
beginning!!  And, as we were told more than once, pricier doesn't always
mean better!  It depends on whether one likes firmer or softer, 'pillow
top' or 'flip', etc...

After a month or so, our interest waned and we just stopped looking!  If
we couldn't decide on the perfectly priced and comfortable mattress then
we just wouldn't buy any!  Ha!  So there!!

Meanwhile, the set we had got shaggier and shaggier and saggier and
saggier, and my back hurt, and some mornings - okay a LOT of mornings! -
it's like dragging a ninety year old body out of the rack!!  I kept
thinking I might get better sleep on something new - even if it did
suck!  And maybe, just maybe!, Jim wouldn't snore so bad!!  (Okay, that
last is a pipe dream!)

Then, a few weeks ago, while Christmas shopping on the internet, I
happened onto Sears' site (I was looking for an Olympic weight bench!),
and the big HALF PRICE mattress sale they were having!!  Who-hoo!!  HALF
PRICE!??!?!  The more I surfed around, the better it sounded!  Even the
very cheapest model would be NEW, which right off the bat!, *HAD* to be
better than the thing we were sleeping on now!   And I didn't have to
get the cheapest since the sale gave me more 'wiggle room'!!

The name brands were on sale, and we'd 'tested' those out!  I thought of
everything I could to talk myself into (out of?) the sale!  And finally,
I made a choice.  I BOUGHT A MATTRESS SET!!!  I didn't even talk to Jim
about it!  Well, I *did* tell him that Sears was having a big sale, but
he didn't ask any questions, so I figured he didn't have any opinion!
(And I haven't told him yet!  It's going to be his Christmas present -
SURPRISE!!  Well, not his ONLY present, but this was another excuse!!)

When I "filled out the paperwork" online, I got to 'choose' my delivery
date, and I chose last Saturday!  He'd either be working or golfing (so
I knew he'd be out of the house!), and the kids and I could take the old
set out and haul it to the dump, then they could bring the new one in,
and viola!, SURPRISE!!!

Since I ordered it at work, I'd used that email address, so when they
sent a confirmation email, I forwarded home so I'd have it in case.
(Good call!)   But the stoopid government system won't let me convert
emails to 'html', so what I got was a long list of links.  Whatever.
Except my gmail wouldn't convert it either so I STILL had a long list of
links.

Anyway, last Saturday Jim went to work, and the kids and I got the old
mattress and box spring out and loaded into the back of Molly's truck.
I putzed around and washed all the linen and even thinned things out a
bit under the bed.  Eventually it occurred to me that I was not POSITIVE
that they were delivering that day.  Hmmm... So I found the email and
started clicking on links, trying to bring up words I could read.  And
that's how I found  - way down the bottom! - the delivery date of
December 10th!  WHAT?!?!?!  I also found a '1-800' number and I called
it to ask.  The nice gentleman assured me that yes, while he had no idea
about my "chosen" delivery date, the set was, indeed, set to be
delivered on the 10th.  I still had five more days to go.

It wasn't near as much fun unloading the old crappy set from Molly's
truck and setting it back up in the bedroom!  And amazingly, by the time
Jim got home, both of the kids are forgotten, or didn't think it was
important, and nobody ever said a word to him!!

Yesterday I got a recorded message telling me that my set would be
delivered today!  FINALLY!  And with confirmation!  They gave me a
'timeframe', so I took Jim into work, checked in myself, and then came
home to wait.  Molly was just leaving for work so I gave her my car keys
and kept the truck for the dump run.

Earlier than I expected, the nice delivery men came and leaned my new
set up in the garage.  I was waiting for my son to get home from school
and help me move out the old set and then take the new set in.  While I
waited, I wrapped some presents and did a load of laundry.  Then I
started wondering why I couldn't haul out the old set myself!  If I
could get it off the bed and out of the room, then I could just slide it
down the hallway and wrangle it out the front door!  Which is what I did
with both pieces, dumping them in the front yard.

Then I did a few more chores and started wondering just how hard it
would be to bring the new - heavier! - set in.  Come on!  I spent twenty
years in the Marine Corps!  I don't need no steekin boy to help me!!!
And so I drug the new box spring in through the garage and through the
kitchen, and then on down the hallway and into the bedroom.  With the
huge plastic wrap on it, it was protected in its journey (and it also
swept the floor on its run through the house!) and I actually had no
problems removing the wrap and setting it up on the frame.

Well!  If THAT was so easy, how hard could the actual mattress be?!?!
To find out, I repeated the whole process with the mattress, and with a
minimum of wrestling, I had the whole bed set up, and then I even put on
clean sheets and stood back to admire my work!  Holy cow!  We're a whole
'nother foot off the ground now!  I was pretty impressed and satisfied
with myself!

But!  I thought to myself... But if I did all that, SURELY I could load
up the old stuff in the truck myself too!!  Surely!

I had a big box that needed to go to the dump and I'd loaded that into
the truck earlier.  Then I threw the two big plastic wrap/bags in, and
then I started wrestling the mattress.  I could get it leaned up on the
tailgate, but it wouldn't just push up onto the pile.  So, I climbed up
and sort of pulled and tilted and wrestled and YES!, I got the mattress
up and in!!  By golly I didn't need help or more hands!!  I am woman
hear me roar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I just had the box spring left - heavier and bulkier.  Certainly
there was no way I could wrest it up and over and on top alone.  I
remembered what a pain it was the FIRST time with the boy helping!  But,
hey!, whatheheck!, one never knows until they try, right?!?!  So I
dragged the box spring over, and got it leaned up on the tailgate.
Again, there was no pushing up and over, so again I climbed up onto the
back and tried leveraging it up.  I have 'something' wrong with my right
shoulder.  For the last couple of months it's given me fits trying to
lift any kind of weight, or to reach over and back.  I'm sure it's just
'old age' and will eventually go away.  Or my arm will fall off.  But
it's not been anything I've even considered seeing a doctor about.

Meanwhile, it was not making the loading any easier AT ALL!!!  I could
get it lifted up off the ground and about halfway up, but I just didn't
have the arm strength to lift it all the way up and around to get it on
top.  Finally, I had a brainstorm!  And I sort of fell over/laid back,
holding onto the box spring and letting my body provide the leverage to
carry it up and over!!!

Try not to laugh picturing me laying on the mattress in the back of the
truck, mostly under the box spring, (still in dress work clothes and
slippers!) trying to wrest my way OUT of there!!!  Somebody with a video
cam could have made a ton of money on "America's Funniest Videos", trust me!

Anyway, and so, I had totally and completely by myself, removed the old
set and loaded it up, and brought in and set up the new!!

Am I the woman, or what?!?!?  Are you crazy!??!?!?!?

My back hurts and I am so stiff and sore right now!!!!!!!!!!  Gawd but I
hope this new mattress is comfy!!

Pam