TheBanyanTree: Gumbo

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:03:43 PST 2009

I make a completely non-authentic gumbo.  New Orleaners would turn up their
Cajun noses at it, but my family likes it.

I made it this morning for our family lunch.  It's a pretty big pot, but
after four of us each eat a serving, and my husband packs up a big container
of it for his dinner (he works nights), there's not usually all that much
left.

Today, for some reason, there was a lot more left than usual.  That's
strange, because I didn't even put everything in it - I left out half the
meat.  So rather than try to put all that in containers in the fridge, where
it would be forgotten about and go bad, I left it simmering very gently on
the stove.

At my dinner time, I decided to have more gumbo.  I dished myself out a nice
big bowl of it, and got myself a large coffee, and sat down to enjoy both of
them.  It was still delicious, and had thickened up even more for the
simmering.

I've just now finished my supper.  Gumbo again, but this time just a
spoonful over a baked potato with a little sprinkle of cheddar cheese on
top.  MMmmmmm.... yummy!

The funny part is, I've been trying to write down what I eat each day, to
help control my intake (I find it's easier to put the cookies away when you
have to write them down on the list).  Here's today's entry:

Yoghurt
Gumbo
Rice
Gumbo
Coffee
Banana
Potato
Gumbo
Coffee

It's a little monochromatic, but it sure was good.  :)

--
Laura
wolfljsh at gmail.com
http://wolfsinger.wordpress.com