TheBanyanTree: numb

Monique Colver monique.colver at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 10:15:09 PDT 2009

Dave,
I truly believe there is a way to feel better without going off your meds. I
don't know the way, since I'm only an accountant, and what do we know about
these things? Accountants don't even have emotions. But I saw it with my
ex-husband, who was on a whole lot of meds. And he was numb, and he slept a
lot, and he was foggy, and he didn't like it at all. He could not manage his
emotions well either (and neither do I, but I'm learning how to), and I
often had to stop him from doing things that were unwise, to say the least.
But he did get better, though I can't say why. Maybe it was fine tuning of
his meds. Maybe he adjusted to being on them and because he fought so hard
to have a life he was able to rise back up. I really don't know. But before
he was diagnosed with cancer he was able to consider his future as a
positive thing, and he was able to consider going back to school, and he
worked at his own business. He started reconnecting with people, which, for
him, was a major thing. He started writing again.

I don't know how or why, but I do know that things do change, or they can
change, and that one thing we can be sure of in life is that everything
changes.

And being nervous about school but not too nervous? That, I must say, is
perfectly normal. The fact that you're not too nervous is a great thing, and
the fact that you're nervous at all says your emotions are working just
fine. I'd be nervous too, if I were going back to school. Or doing anything
different than what I do on a normal basis. Take lots of notes. Record the
classes if you can.

It will be okay.

Monique

--