TheBanyanTree: Concrete Change

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Apr 19 15:47:07 PDT 2009

12/16/05
HURRY WE MISS YOU!
 Love you too much
Ray

Joe suggested a couple of months ago that I reorganize my office.  In his
paranoid mind, he was concerned that people walking on the sidewalk would
look up and see my computer screen through the window and then would break
in the house and steal my computer.

OK, whatever.

But here’s the real scoop.  My office is the smallest and darkest room in
the house.  It’s on the second floor along with my bedroom and my bathroom.
My desk is an old wooden office desk probably made in the 1860s or
something.  It weighs a ton.  The movers plopped it against the wall
opposite the window and there it sat, because I didn’t feel like moving it.

So, in reality, people could see the computer screen from the sidewalk, but
I have a more trusting personality, and I’m not worried about what people
can see or not see.

But Joe’s suggestion of moving my desk to the wall next to the window was a
good one.  I mulled it over for a while, because moving that furniture was
going to be a lot of work.

In the meantime, I ended up buying a new printer/fax/scanner/copier.  My
printer was about five or six years old and it wasn’t printing out in color
very well anymore, so I found a good deal at Best Buy.

I bought a printer that needed to be put somewhere.  And since printers no
longer use printer cords, and I only had a short USB cord, I decided this
was the deciding factor to rearrange my office.

It was gorgeous on Friday – we finally hit the 70s.  And I didn’t have to
work my second job.  I took advantage of the nice weather, opened the
windows, and got to work.

My desk is now against the wall next to the window and my file cabinet,
scrapbooking stuff (which I never seem to have time to use), floor lamp, and
a wooden chair are on the wall where the desk once resided.  It’s amazing
how the room just opened up.  It seems like twice the size I had before.

I had to buy a printer USB cable that was longer than six feet, so I could
use a small wooden table to put my new printer on.  But everything looks
great, plus, it’s nice to be next to the window.  I feel more connected to
what’s going on outside.

More changes . . .

I called my cousin this week about looking at my (I miss saying “our,” it
sucks just being a “my”) roof.  The shingles are old and need to be
replaced.  He’s coming over this week and I’ll get an estimate from him.

I called a gutter cleaning guy and got an estimate from him.  I need some
gutters replaced as well.  I’ll see what the roof cost will be and then I’ll
get going on the gutters.  Joe and his friend, Charles, cleaned them out
last year, but were unable to clean the upper gutters without risking their
lives.  Trees are growing out of the top gutters, so they need to be cleaned
for sure.

Susan broke one of the basement windows trying to wake up Asher one morning.
Well, it’s taken me a year to get going on this.  The guy came this morning
and gave me an estimate.  He’ll take out the window this week and either
replace the glass or the entire window.  Then I’ll send Susan the bill.
Better late than never.

Joe and I bought a clear ceiling tile for the basement ceiling last week,
but I was unable to cut it so it would fit into the square in the ceiling.
Asher was able to cut it and it fits beautifully and covers up an ugly hole.

I want to get new dinnerware, but I can’t justify the expense.  My old
dinnerware is getting chipped and stained a bit.  I’ll keep my eye out on
garage sales, etc.  Change doesn’t need to be expensive.

Besides rearranging my office, I put away the Easter decorations and put out
the lawn furniture this weekend.  I swept out the garage one more time.

I’ll buy dirt this week and begin to prepare the garden beds.

This warmer weather has really energized me.  I was so f***** last year.  I
didn’t know if I was coming or going.  It’s great to feel ALIVE again.  My
heart has a HUGE hole, but at least I’m functioning again.  Last year’s
spring and summer were such a waste.

I was leaving money (change like quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies) for
Ray.  It’s been on top of his tombstone for several weeks, but when I went
to visit him today, the money was all gone.  I really don’t mind.
Hopefully, they can use it.

Or maybe Ray needed it for some reason.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net
margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com
www.polarispublications.com

If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk
forever in my garden.
-Claudia Ghandi