TheBanyanTree: the sublime outdoors

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Mon Apr 20 08:20:50 PDT 2009

It was a cool, rainy day all day yesterday, but as the sun started to
set, it was only misting out, and so I cajoled the family into taking a
walk with me.  Number One Son agreed to go but then got a better offer
to go to a friend's house, so he apologetically scooted out.  Before he
left, though, he sidled up to me, and being the sensitive young man he
is, asked me if he had made me feel sad by not going on the walk.  I
told him that I'm happy that he has such good friends and I know that
when I was 18, even though I loved my parents, I would always rather be
with my friends.  I said to him, "I don't think you'll understand this
until you have kids, but it's sometimes sad for a parent to know that
her kid would really rather be somewhere else, while at the same time
it's normal and good.  I know you are not a little boy anymore, but I
still have the experience of that little boy in my memory, in my heart,
in my very bones.  So, yes, I do get a little sad sometimes."  He
reminded me that he is living at home next year for his first year of
college.  Yes, I know that.  And it's not all a bed of roses living
with a headstrong 18 year old.  But still. There are some moments I
miss experiencing with him, and this misty Spring evening walk felt
like one of them.  At eighteen and a half, he is such a man in some
ways.  But when I see his smile, a lock of hair that always curls a
certain way, the tiny mole on his chin, his big expressive eyes, I see
my little boy as he has always been.

But Husband and Number Two Son gave into my plea, son preferring to
scoot along beside us on his bike.  And it was amazing out.  The grass
is lush and green (everywhere, that is, except on our property where we
our non-pesticided yard is still a bit sparse--because left to it's own
devices, our yard is returning to the mix of woodland grasses and
weeds, wild olive, and redbud shoots it was before we were there).  The
crab apples are all bloom and perfume, while the Bradford pears are now
in leaf, their recent finished blooms covering the sidewalks like a
dusting of snow.  The bass and grass carp were active in the small
ponds up the road, and our buddy the muskrat was taking his evening
swim.  I see him almost every time I walk there, and I always envy him
his quiet, solo swim in a placid pond at twilight.  I briefly
reconsider letting Husband buy the backhoe he's been going on about,
and letting him dig a pond at the bottom of our property so that I can
be a muskrat on summer evenings at twilight.

The walk back was even more magical as a foggy mist settled into the
low spots on our road and the spring peepers went into full song.
Cardinals and other song birds flashed and twittered in the shrubby
undergrowth that overtakes all the unkept edges where our dead-end road
fades into deeper woods.  A red-wing blackbird sang from a marshy area.
  It was hard for me to believe my luck at being alive on this damp,
deeply green-scented evening.  What luck to live on my small acre and a
half of shed, garden, woodpile, pine row, fallen tree, bird-filled
thicket, cozy house, screened porch.  Even through the ups and downs of
life with other humans and work and worry, I find much peace here, and
being outside at twilight presses that peace into my very being.

Julie