TheBanyanTree: Path to Wisdom (Part Two)

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Sun Apr 19 13:47:34 PDT 2009

"Bear? What bear? Are you saying I have a bear in the cellar? But I
don't have a cellar! What are you talking about? . . . " There was no
reply and Sharon realised she was talking to no one and nothing.
Cradling the handset she sat down wondering what the Wizard meant by the
bear in the cellar.

A year or so later the woman purchased a dwelling on land far removed
from the village and moved there to live.

On a day some years later it happened that she returned to the village
to visit an old friend. Afterwards as she was walking to where she had
parked her car she felt an impulse to make her way through a small park
which, she felt, had not existed when she was a resident. In the middle
of the park was a circle of small trees; through them she spied a wooden
bench - and seated on it someone else she recognised from the old days.
Going up to the bench she realised the person was asleep. Unsure of what
to do next she turned about and stood quietly watching others walking
through the park.

"Hello Sharon - It is Sharon, isn't it?"

Startled, the woman jumped and turned around. "I - er, yes, I'm Sharon,
Wizard. Sorry, I thought you were asleep."

"Though winter approaches there is still warmth in the sun. I must have
dropped off. Would you like to tell me about the bear in the cellar?"

"The bear is no longer in the cellar and he isn't well. There is
something wrong with him and he is wasting away. I don't know what to do
for him. That's why I came to see Swami Fullgrand but her wisdom doesn't
extend to bears. At least, not bears like that one."

The Wizard nodded, gazed up at the trees as if looking for inspiration.
He had wondered for a long time what Sharon and the Swami had had in
common, the way they had struck up a friendship shortly after the woman
had phoned him that day. He had always felt it wasn't the bear or the
path she sought but maybe he was wrong.

"Will you help me? Please?" Sharon asked abruptly.

The Wizard said nothing, fumbled through the backpack on the ground
between his feet and withdrew a cloth bag. Releasing its drawstring he
emptied the bag on to the bench. Passing a hand over the five objects
sparkling in the sunlight he chose one and handed it to the woman.

"Does this resemble your bear?"

She drew a sharp breath, the small statuette seemed almost a perfect
copy. She sniffled then tears began to roll down her cheeks.

"Lie the bear down on the bench, Sharon, on his back with his head
towards the sun. Then sit down next to him so he is between us."

He waited for her to do it then asked "Do you love the bear?"

"With all my heart. Ever since I released him from the cellar he has
been my constant companion, watching out for me, caring for me. I would
give my life for him."

"He isn't with you today."

"No, he cannot move his legs."

The Wizard palmed another object. "Tell me, if you did not know the bear
at all, knew absolutely nothing about him except that he existed, that
he wasn't well, would you still love him, would you still be prepared to
give your life for him?"

"I - that's a hard question. Let me think a moment."

She picked the bear statuette up and held it with both hands, one behind
its head and shoulders, the other holding its legs from underneath.
Looking at the bear it seemed to her that the head had turned towards
her, that its eyes were seeking her help. She released the breath she
had been holding unconsciously, lifted the bear and held it against her
shoulder as if it were a baby.

"Yes, Wizard, I would!"

The old man smiled. "Did you ever find the Path to Wisdom, Sharon?"

"No, I never did."

"There are many paths, as many as there are beings in the Universe, and
not one of them recognises the path that has been sought when it is
actually reached."

The Wizard took the bear from the woman, laid it back down on the bench
and put next to it the object in his hand, an angelic figurine.

"Raphael, the Healing Angel, is watching over your bear, he will make
sure it is comfortable," he said gently. "What else would you like him
to do?"

"Make the bear's legs move properly and without paining him, and take
away whatever is in the body which is hurting him and causing him to
waste away."

"Raphael will need help to do all that. Will you help him, Sharon?"

"Assuredly, just tell me what to do."

The Wizard picked up the crystal pendulum which lay between the other
two objects on the bench. First showing her how to hold it he said
"Dangle the crystal over one of the bear's shoulders. Ask in your
thoughts to be shown whether the bear's body polarity is working all
right and if not, how to fix it."

She did as she was told and watched in amazement as the crystal spun
first in one direction and then several times in the opposite one.

<Think about the bear, Sharon, how he was lying when you left him this
morning.>"

She accepted the thoughtspeak and visualised the bear in her mind.

<Now do to the bear statuette whatever first comes into your mind.>

Putting the pendulum down she hesitantly put a hand out towards the
bear, for some reason spread her fingers then stroked several times from
the head to the foot on one side then the other. The visualisation in
her mind changed; without any warning the bear sat up and looked around
as though searching for something - or someone!

The Wizard thoughtspoke again, taking her through the steps of a distant
treatment which were being sent to him by Raphael. At the end of it he
handed her the remaining objects - a clear crystal and a small shining
white stone.

"When you get a headache or feel stressed hold the crystal in the palm
of one hand, calmness will cover you and the headache will go. Keep the
stone with you - it will purify and energise the waters you drink."

He stood up, put the pendulum and figurine back in the cloth bag then
stood holding it. "You may take the bear statuette with you if
you wish but in truth all you need is your love for the bear."

Sharon was crying again. Momentarily blinking the tears away she picked
up the statuette and dropped it into the cloth bag. With a muffled
'Thank you' she turned away from her benefactor and grasped the forepaw
that stretched out towards her. On the other side of the tree circle she
paused and looked back - of the wooden bench and the Wizard there was no
sign. She nodded to herself thoughtfully then went on with the bear to
where her car was parked.

On the phone to the Swami the Wizard said "Sharon has reached the Path
of Wisdom with the bear and is moving steadily along it to her next
lesson. Do you know what it will be?"

"Flights of Steps. I shall pass a little hint along."

roger