TheBanyanTree: Another Story About Ashes

Pam North pam.north at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 08:33:20 PDT 2008

Oh my.... there are more than just MY ashes to golf stories out there?!?!?!

And I just married another avid golfer.  Eeekk!!

But it does remind me of another story...  (my son is Charlie, named
fittingly and perfectly after my dad, Charlie)

A dozen years or so before my dad died, he had a debilitating stroke.  For a
long time he couldn't swallow, among other things, and he never did walk a
straight line again without his cane since he had no balance left at all.

Meanwhile, while he spent months in rehab and relearning so many things, his
golf buddies had to persevere and hit the course without him.  And there was
a joke going around that those buddies told others... 'Did you hear about
Charlie"....  I don't remember the whole joke, I just remember their punch
line:

"Hit the ball, drag Charlie."

Which reminds me of another story...

The doctors early on had asked my dad what his goal was in recovery, and he
told them that he wanted to golf again.  Many months later I went home to
visit and was going to meet my dad at the club house after his round.

I got there and he wasn't around anywhere so I started watching the course
to see if I could see him anywhere on the last holes...  Nope, no dad.

And then I was watching this one guy come up on the ball and ready himself
to hit it, and the next thing I knew this same guy had just flipped over and
fallen down.  Ahhh...  THERE was my father!!

Because he had no balance, and he didn't want to bother with a cane on the
course, he'd leave the cart with two clubs - the one he wanted to use, and
another 'throw away'.  He'd 'balance' himself over the ball and swing, and
then retrieve the other club and walk back.

But evidently, that time (and others I'm told) he wasn't quite so
balanced...  But he was golfing!!

Pam