TheBanyanTree: Another Story About Ashes

Kitty Park kpark at sssnet.com
Sat Sep 13 09:50:57 PDT 2008

My husband and I purchased cemetery plots early in our
marriage.  Six years later, he was transferred and we moved
700 miles away.  There was no family left behind, no reason
to return.  Therefore, as my husband approached the end of
his battle with cancer, he found cremation to be an
acceptable alternative to burial.

The plan was that three buddies and our son take his ashes
with them on a Saturday golf outing and scatter them here
and there over the course.  So the ashes, in their plain
brown box, sat on a shelf awaiting a visit from Brett who
lives across the country.  His trips home usually came
during winter holidays - Thanksgiving or Christmas.  In
Ohio, greens are frozen by then and golf clubs have been
stowed until spring.

Nearly ten years passed.  Brett moved again, and his sister
and I visited him in San Diego.  Included in the activities
would be disbursing their dad's ashes.  Where?  Near Torrey
Pines, a golf course he had played and where I felt
confident he'd like to be - a premier golf course in an area
with beautiful weather year 'round.

I don't know why I was surprised to see we weren't the first
with such a great idea.  As we walked over the scrub ground,
sparkles of minerals shown in the sunlight.  Obviously there
were other people now on the other wide who had been as
crazy about the game as he was.  We congratulated ourselves
on finding this perfect place.  Brett held back a handful of
ashes, and as we walked to the car, he lofted the final bit
over the fence onto the adjacent tee.

Kitty

kpark at sssnet.com
www.parkplaceohio.com