TheBanyanTree: Tomorrow I begin cooking...

Sharon Mack smack58 at nycap.rr.com
Tue Nov 25 15:32:20 PST 2008

Tomorrow I begin cooking in preparation for the big day.

I raised four children but only one will be in attendance.  The rest are in
Baltimore and will be together at my daughter, Jen's home. There has not
been a partner in my life for many years and the "family" of single moms I
had around me while raising my children have gone on and no longer attend my
family dinners.  They have their own ties now.  Besides, my apartment is
very small and really cannot accommodate much company.

He changed the menu.  This is a first for me.  I suggested roast chicken as
turkey overall is too large, and I didn't want to get a breast.  Too dry for
my tastes, but with a roast chicken he could have the breast, and I could
have chicken legs or thighs.  I would make the stuffing and gravy and
smashed potatoes along with yams, Campbell's soup green beans, salad and
cranberry sauce with pie for dessert--maybe pumpkin--maybe cherry.

Nope, he wants fried chicken--fried chicken with coleslaw, greens (kale),
smashed potatoes, gravy, skillet cornbread and apple crisp.  He wants
Maryland style Devils on Horseback (oysters wrapped in bacon and broiled
with Tabasco sauce) with clam dip and crackers for an appetizer and eggnog
to drink.

I don't care what he says, I'm making me some sweet potatoes and opening a
can of cranberries just for nostalgic sake.