TheBanyanTree: Back in China 2008 - part 1

Pat M ms.pat.martin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 21:31:22 PST 2008

See bottom of page for link to photos...

Trip to China, November 2008

             I'd returned to Canada at the end of May 2008 in order to
investigate the strange symptoms I'd experienced in China and had put my
life and future plans on hold until I was diagnosed.  I'd seen my family
doctor and been referred to a neurologist, a rheumatologist and a
dermatologist, been tested and retested, and had a CAT scan of my brain. I'd
had my MRI results from China reviewed. I was told I have an autoimmune
disease, although exactly what disease remains unknown. The best the doctors
could do was rule out lupus and suggest it might be vasculitis which runs in
the family. It took until the end of September to find this out.

Autoimmune diseases can be serious, even fatal, but the doctor could not
tell me whether or not I would ever experience symptoms again.  She
suggested that if I travelled I should take a copy of my test results with
me, and if another rash appeared, it should be biopsied. Based on that, I
decided to live my life and not worry about what may or may not happen.  It
was time to make plans to travel abroad again.

I'd hoped to return to Successful English School in Sanya where I previously
worked but there were no openings until April 2009 when the current
teachers' contracts finished.  Disappointed, I began to seek a teaching job
in southern China (I never wanted to experience the unremitting
bone-chilling cold I had in Lintong earlier in the year) for a period of up
to 6 months (in order to remain on my medical plan).  Those two criteria in
addition to not having a BA limited my choices. I must admit I became
obsessed with making a plan; I was, after all, living with my mom and her
partner and felt it was time to go.

For weeks, I spent hours on the computer searching for something that felt
right but nothing fell into place.  Finally, I listened to a niggling inner
voice which reminded me that I'd originally become an ESL teacher in order
to teach English to at-risk children in third world countries in order to
give them the opportunity of finding a good job.  I was still in contact
with Agape the organization that helps fund heart operations for Chinese
children with chronic heart disease.  This organization also runs several
orphanages in China. It occurred to me that I might be able to continue my
humanitarian work with them so I sent an email to the director Ron Brown
asking if the Chinese orphanages accepted volunteers.

After a few emails and a phone call, I'd committed to volunteering for a
year at an orphanage in Pingguo, Guangxi Province, in southern China, but
not before receiving my daughter Michelle's blessing.  I'd also confirmed
with Agape that if she came to China I could have some time off to travel
with her.

 Because Agape was going to pay for my flights from Seattle to China, a
year-long commitment seemed reasonable. My medical plan, I decided, need
never know I was out of the country longer than six months.  If I became
ill, health care services in China are very cheap, much cheaper than in the
west.

At the orphanage, I would have my own bedroom next to the girls' dormitory.
There would be hot water but no heat (that was a little tough to digest!)
but this time I could be prepared. My job would be to supervise the girls
and to teach the children English.

My journey to China began on November 19th; my itinerary was to fly
Vancouver, Seattle, Tokyo, Guangzhou where I stayed overnight before flying
to Nanning, the closest city to Pingguo, the following day.

On November 18th, I stayed overnight in an airport hotel near YVR (Vancouver
International Airport) and had hoped to be fully rested before embarking on
such a long trip, but my room faced the street and the traffic disturbed me.
On only four hours of sleep I left for my two-day journey at 6:30 am lugging
an enormous suitcase weighing 34 kgs, another of 25 kgs, a backpack of 12 kg
and a large leather handbag. The smaller suitcase contained books and games
for the children as well as teaching materials.

                At the North West Airlines desk, I insisted on speaking with
the manager to see if the airlines would waive the excess luggage fees.  After
a little discussion and proof I was going to an orphanage (printed emails
between Ron and I) the North West Airlines manager agreed to waive the
fee—but just this once.  That saved upwards of $100 that could now be used
for the children.

Ron had one of his contacts in China book a hotel in Guangzhou for me. When
I finally arrived, I was happy to see a smiling, red-uniformed valet holding
a sign with my (misspelled) name on it outside the baggage area.

I was so tired I could hardly think but not too tired to appreciate the
hotel, a 4 star called the Century Airport Hotel. I'd never stayed in
anything as nice in my previous visit to China and really enjoyed its
luxury.  Every room had a computer with internet and everything was
spotlessly clean.

The following morning I sat in the hotel's busy dining room, comfortable in
my surroundings. I ordered by pointing since the menu was only in Chinese.  I
ordered (rice) porridge and assorted dumplings filled with vegetables and
seafood.  I enjoyed two cups of (instant) coffee.  The many waitresses
fussed over me and attended to my every whim.  I ate a very large, delicious
breakfast.  Soon I would be living in an orphanage and didn't know what to
expect as far as meals.

*Pingguo China 2008 photos can be viewed at
http://picasaweb.google.com/Ms.Pat.Martin/Pingguo#
*

--
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you
didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away

Mark Twain