TheBanyanTree: You *Can* Go Home Again (Warning: Long, Probaby Boring)

Jeri Xiques jer.x at vownet.net
Mon Nov 24 09:22:32 PST 2008

Subject: Re: [UpperBranches] You *Can* Go Home Again (Warning: Long,Probaby Boring)

Great writing, Pammie!!  My old high school is the oldest one in Shreveport, built in the early 1920s as Shreveport High School, later taking the name of its first superintendent/principal, Clifton Ellis Byrd.  It was the only high school in town for several years; then our rival, Fair Park, was built, as well as Booker T. Washington, the black high school.  Now there are at least half a dozen plus a couple of parochials.  But the Byrd-Fair Park Thanksgiving Day football game was always THE game.

"Byrd, we stand to honor thee, Alma Mater true..."
Byrd was always a powerhouse in Louisiana, both academically and athletically.  Great reputation ~  graduation from Byrd could almost guarantee acceptance into good colleges.  We also had the reputation of being snobbish ~ it was a moneyed school ~ although somehow my family was not included in that privileged group!   We  had a large population:  3,000 students total, grades 9 thru 12, with approx 550 graduates in my class. In my junior year, our football team advanced to the State championship game against Jesuit HS in New Orleans.  So many people wanted to go that school was closed for a day and a private train was chartered.  I don't remember how many rail cars there were, but to this day, it remains the longest train ever to leave the Shreveport station!  What a blast that was!  At some point, someone ran thru the cars announcing that Mrs. DuBois would be conducting her French class at 10:00 in car Nr. 5.  It was cold and rainy that day in New Orleans (I was part of the half-time show and we were covered in mud!!)  Our Yellow Jackets lost the game ~ those Cajuns really knew how to play in rain and mud ~ but the trip was unforgettable just the same.

"Loyal homage we will bring, through the years to you..."
C.E. Byrd was located in the more affluent area of town, FP was more blue collar.  Back in my day (Class of '56), of course, segregation was the order of the day (we just didn't KNOW any other system), but in the late 50s to early 60s, that changed.  I am ashamed to admit it, but de-seg caused a "white flight" to private schools, not only by a lot of students but also many teachers and a principal.  The school had some really rocky times during that period and almost went under.  There was talk of closing it.  But a bunch of alumnae from my era knew they couldn't let the venerable old institution fail, so they went to work.  They raised the money and generated public interest in rehabbing the old building and academic programs, breathing life back into the City of Byrd so that the school  became the Magnet school for Math and Science, which it is today.  Now it's again the powerhouse it used to be, good reputation, strong leadership, and a very active alum association.  (For those interested, go to www.cebyrd.com .)

"Loyalty, honesty, with our friendship hold..."
A few years ago, when my class held our "Social Security" reunion (it was the year we all turned 65), the school was opened to us on Saturday for a tour.   I recognized the halls, stairways, main office, etc., but was unable to remember which classrooms were mine.  It is a large building:  three floors plus a basement.  Now there are a new gymnasium, football stadium, science building, courtyards, etc., etc.  Brick pavers inscribed with one's name/year can be purchased for $50 and pave the entrance area to the new gym.  It's all pretty inspirational.  While classes always hold reunions, several years ago, someone got the idea to put on the "Ultimate Reunion," for anyone who *ever* graduated from Byrd.  It was a huge success, and television news stated that approximately ten to twelve thousand people had descended upon Shreveport that weekend!

The best part for me is that although several of the snobs are still around and still look down their noses at the rest of us, most of us now just laugh at them and get on with the party!  I am better friends with many of my classmates as the adults we are now than the kids we were then.

So, for me, while I don't think I could ever "go home again," I do enjoy visiting...and I'll never forget...
"Always deep within our hearts, the Purple and the Gold."

Jeri