TheBanyanTree: After Play

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Wed May 14 05:49:29 PDT 2008

Quoting NancyIee at aol.com:

> It's like a good story that gets mangled, mis-represented, and STILL people
> buy and read and enjoy.

Here here!  And I can attest to the fact that it did shine through the
bad acting.  I was so caught up in the words that I didn't notice the
flailing around on stage all that much.  I'm thinking of all the times
high school drama classes have mangled a great play, such as "Death of
a Salesman" or maybe "MacBeth", and it has never taken anything away
from those great works.  Sorry that you had to experience all the
negativity of the different personalities.  Bloomington is a smallish,
artsy community, and is rife with those types.  I've bumped into my
share, and try to steer clear of them when at all possible, although
it's probably impossible to do so if you choose that as your line of
work.  The few times I've put myself "out there" in the art community,
such as having something I've done in a gallery or such, I've run into
the massive ego thing.  I don't care for it one bit, and it has led me
to keep my art so much more to myself.  It takes guts to let our
personal light shine.  I admire you for putting your play out there and
taking the chance with it.

Julie