TheBanyanTree: High school reunions

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Fri May 9 23:16:14 PDT 2008

As usual I am way behind with TBT, my only excuse being that the first two
weeks of April we were in Singapore and then Paris on holiday, the last two
weeks I was evilly crook at home and this weeks I have been inspecting a
farm 4 hours drive away which has a huge blackberry problem - 500 acres of
them!

Anyhoo, way back in the fifties when I was working up to taking the General
Certificate of Education which in those days in England one sat at 16 years
of age and probably still do, I have to say I was not very conscientious
about it, knowing full well that should I do badly I could always repeat
the study the following year. As might be predicted, of the five subjects I
sat the exams for at Eccles Grammar School, I passed in two - English
Language and French. (Of these, the first has been enhanced through being
in Oz for almost 40 years, and what remains of the latter came in very
handy last month!)

Well, there was always next year, wastn't there? Ah, the innocence of
youth!! A month after I received the results my father died and I had to
leave school and get a job to support my mother. Such is life that 19 years
would pass and I would be on the other side of the world before the 'second
chance' actually came to pass. In 1974 I studied, sat and passed HSC at
Dickson College, Canberra, as a mature age student, in three subjects -
English Literature, Modern History and General Studies. The major
difference between this year of study and my English grammar school years
is that I enjoyed every minute of it.

Incidentally, I was invited to an EGS reunion two years ago. Interestingly
the school ceased to exist in the sixties or seventies but the reunions
happen every year or so just the same. Needless to say, I suppose, I didn't
attend.

roger