TheBanyanTree: we are cut some slack

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Wed Jul 23 07:26:22 PDT 2008

Today promises to be a cooler day, although the humidity is still 92
percent, according to the weather station.  (Husband and I were viewing
a mindless tv commercial the other night for a product which claimed to
prevent hair frizz "in up to 80% humidity!"  Husband said, drolly,
"That would do us no good in Indiana."  Ha ha, frizz product makers!)
Riding my bike in in the morning is always tolerable, and usually even
quite pleasant, but the thought of those afternoon temps have kept me
car-bound recently, cruising along with the masses, using fossil fuel
like it grows on trees.

Riding home in the peak heat and humidity of an Indiana afternoon,
after a long day of work, and hitting the one really long uphill climb,
and then the couple of quick, steep hills right at the end of my ride
is just too much, though.  I'm simply not that tough anymore, I guess.
It pains me to say that.  A few times this summer I have coasted into
the yard, into the semi-shade of the big cedar tree, dropped the bike
to the ground, letting the contents of the plastic crate on the back
fall where they land--work clothes, shoes, wallet, groceries--and
stumbled into the house, drenched with sweat and so red in the face it
looked like I could be having a heart attack.  It was only near heat
exhaustion, and not the real thing, but it is not a pleasant experience.

I don't know, but the heat is making me feel like a total weanie this
summer. Maybe it does every summer and I've just forgotten.  Like the
cold of the dead of winter is swiped from my gray cells in the heat of
summer.  Ah well, though, this morning was lovely, and the temp is
supposed to max out in the low 80's. This break comes not a day too
soon for adjusting my attitude towards summer.  Because, honestly, I
don't want to despise summer, what with winter just some odd months
away.

Julie

We are no mere writer's support group; we are supporters who write. -- MB

(Mostly) Daily Dee:  http://cbg-dee.blogspot.com/

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/thebanyantree?tag-id=thebanyantree

----- End forwarded message -----