TheBanyanTree: GPS (aka help getting lost)

Sachet sachet at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 22:22:03 PST 2008

I am getting to know the area. Slowly but surely. I use the
get-lost-first method and find it to be very effective. :-P

The stoopid GPS does not always know where it's going and I blithely
follow its directions, naively thinking I am going to end up where I
want to be. Then I talk to it (aka yell) as if it understands me when it
takes me to some strange place instead of....oooooh.... say....the post
office where I NEED to be by a certain time and then have to end up
calling the post office to find out where they are located in my actual
reality.

The GPS is at least efficient at providing helpful and correct phone
numbers. And no matter where I am, it can always get me back home.
That's why it's allowed to stay with me and is not out mapping the
inside of the trash can. I like exploring within the safety net of being
able to get back home. Therefore, we have reached an accord. <g>

I still can't find a voice I like to hear telling me how to drive
though. I thought I would really, really like the Scottish guy. But he
quickly became the MOST annoying of all the voices. And it's confusing
when you don't know where you are going and you're carefully watching,
attentively listening and the jargon is all off kilter. Roadway? Well,
yeah, by merely using instantaneous common sense I DO understand he
meant highway. But when I'm already confused about where I am and where
I'm going, why add to the muddle? Muddle? That is not an average
American word. See? Now it has me using its jargon.

So I found Inga. She's ok.  Not as soothing as I would like, though.
Personally, I think that should be the most compelling feature for any
navigation device. Can they soothe the frazzled nerves, befuddled
thoughts or angry attitude of the driver?

A thought occurred...any GPS is so portable. And granted they do provide
a way to add the ephemeral protection of a password. But any high school
computer guru could figure it out in an amazingly short amount of time.
I'm pretty straightforward with what I named my "Favorite" places. Yes,
I do consider home to be a favorite place, so I just named it "Home".
When we first moved here I needed to know how to get to two places when
I was out and about. "Home" and my husband's work place. So another one
of my Favorites is called "Work".

Today is when it occurred to me that if someone ever steals my GPS, they
will instantly be able to see where I live and heck, Inga will merrily
tell them how to get here. Then they can go visit my husband at work
before they go off to say hi to my brother.

I concluded that maybe I needed to develop a secret code. So I did.

Aunt Bertha's Nursing Home
Grandpa Fred's Podiatrist
Fifi's Vet

Somehow I don't see a thief necessarily wanting to explore those places.

It is going to be initially confusing for any family members who want to
borrow my GPS though. Especially since we don't have an Aunt Bertha,
Grandpa Fred or own a Fifi.

But they can think up their own secret code to share with Inga.

....Sachet