TheBanyanTree: It Hurt

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Thu Aug 28 11:05:32 PDT 2008

Quoting NancyIee at aol.com:

> But, as for G who said you were not even sick, not really, I think that one
> was so terrified he denied it was life-threatening. That you beat it, meant,
> to  him, that it was not serious, not life threatening, and things
> would go on as  usual.  He would not have to face it or deal with it.
> You beat it, so it was gone, perhaps not even there to begin with.

I so love your perspective, Nancy.  We can agree that G was not right
to say what he said, that his words were mean and insensitive.  Then
maybe we jump to saying the man, himself, is mean and insensitive. And
maybe that's not fair.  You have pointed out something so important.
We all carry stuff inside us that causes us to react in not such good
ways, pushes our buttons, plays to our biggest fears.  Stuff that
blocks us from expressing our true feelings and honest emotions, even
to our own selves, and much less to others.  Many men, especially,
suffer from the affliction of "stuffing it all down."  So, yes, maybe
in G's world, you weren't really sick, the cancer was not really life
threatening, you are still there, things can go on as usual, and all
those fears he might have of an /alternative/ ending to this story can
just be denied, like it never happened.  Still doesn't mean you should
let him off the hook--but this sure could be a better starting point
for open discussion than the first approach that comes to mind: "You
insensitive idiot!" followed by a swift kick in the ass.  That might
become necessary later, but.

Julie