TheBanyanTree: Jacaranda time

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Sun Oct 21 19:28:11 PDT 2007

Each year, I measure the arrival of low summer by the frosting of
purple-blue that delineates the jacaranda trees.  The blooms arrive as
October progresses, then in early November a rain or wind storm drops
many of the flowers to the ground, making a blue carpet that makes those
living nearby smile, and makes those having to clean them up snarl.

By St Andrew's Day, November 30, the jacarandas are on their last legs,
but by then the cicadas are in full blast -- they will start showing up
this week.

Those of us who are alert to seasonal markers know that many of them,
the animal ones, are coming earlier than even ten years ago. Migrating
birds like the koels arrive sooner, the cicadas emerge from the ground
sooner, bush flies appear sooner, but plants are smarter: they react to
day length when deciding to flower, and the overall rise in climate has
no effect on their timing.

Last Thursday, we were over on the other side of the city minding our
grand-daughter, and I commented to Chris that the jacaranda in their
backyard was getting close to flowering, if you got really close.  We
got home Thursday to find a "parcel to pick up" message.  I had been
working on the MacBook on their back deck, and the flies had been
annoying me a bit, so I had decided that a beard  trim and a haircut
were needed before we took off for a Hunter Valley weekend -- this is a
wine area about a degree north of Sydney.

I trim my beard myself, but get the barber to do the hair, so armed with
the card for the Post Office, I headed off at 8:10, and found myself
walking under a jacaranda, looked out as I walked, and spotted three
more.  Then I got the topiary trimmed, had a coffee while I waited for
the Post Office to open and found it was a monster, but carried it
bravely home, sweating all the way and spotting more trees jacaranda
verging on blooming, then we headed off up the coast.

Thus alerted, we played spot-the-jacaranda on the way up, while taking
cousins from the Oz west coast around the area on Saturday, and coming
home again yesterday.  More and more were gathering, and this morning,
there were even more. Every day, new ones spring into clear view, and I
can already see four from where I sit.  In a few days, the effect of a
suburb under attack from paintball hoons will be clear to all.

Hopefully for Malibu, we will soon stop hearing about their fires, but
as I look out to the horizon, about 10 kilometres away, the air is full
of smoke haze already.  Usually there is a gap between the end of the US
fire season and the start of ours, time enough for what we call the
Elvis helicopters (after the first of them to be seen here) to be
dismantles, freighted here and set up ready to drown our fires.

It is about 30 degrees today (86F), so I will stand outside tonight, and
listen for the first cicadas.  Once we would have waited until early
November, but the Earth and the cicadas are impatient to get started
with declaring high summer, when the mornings feel as though somebody
left the oven door open.  The Hunter Valley was full of cicadas, just as
Opera in the Vineyards had flies clambering into the wine until the sun
went down.

I have moved the winter clothes into storage -- the jacarandas say I can.

   _--|\   Peter Macinnis           petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
  /     \  Breeder of Pedigreed racing leeches (GT stripes extra)
  \.--._*  centipede farrier  (special bulk rates for millipedes)
       v   http://members.ozemail.com.au/~macinnis/index.htm