TheBanyanTree: San Diego Report

Tom Smith deserthiker2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 17:12:39 PDT 2007

WILDFIRES RAGE, the local headline said.  Nothing I couldn't
_read_ with irritated eyes and and nose full of downwind smoke
a few feet outside the front door.   This fire is even worse
than a similar local disaster 4 years ago. I think it's fair to
say I could be experiencing an intense taste of warming in my
niche of the globe.  I _read_ the reservoirs the Atlanta area
of the globe are at record lows, with rivers starting to
resemble creeks.  I'd like to hear about that from an on-scene
witness.

The sky is a dirty brown to the north and south, with gusty hot
dry winds blowing the southern smoke ever closer and picking up.
I'm about 15 miles from where evacuations are currently taking
place.  The idea of being in gridlock with a full tank of gas on
asphault doesn't give me better odds than riding this one out,
either in a backyard swimming pool or clear area nearby on the
property.  A heck of a lot more homes will have to burn for this
keyboard to be melting; an event of historic proportions.

Tom